Norton GoBack

It's Me 12:22 17 Mar 05

I've just installed SystemWorks Premier 2005 as an update to 2003. All went very well.

But then I decided to also install GoBack which is a separate installation. The installation seemed to go alright until I had to restart. Then I finished up with a blue screen with a brief totally unintelligible bit of script with a lot of numbers on it. So I rebooted, spotted some moving blue line for a couple of seconds, but then got to the blue screen. Rebooted again, tried the Norton rescue disc, no use as it couldn't find Windows. Tried my Windows CD, but it failed because it said there was not HDD, I have SATA HDDs, so it looked as though I was in for a lot of grief.

Rebooted again to see if I could spot the moving blue line, and sure enough there it was in the middle of the screen, with some words attached to it, but in the very short time it was visible, not easy. Two more reboots and I had the instruction clear, press the space bar. This gives you a short menu. The only one that worked for me, and I tried the repairs and rollbacks, was to switch GoBack off. Rebooted and, thank the Lord, Windows appeared as though nothing was wrong.

Get rid of this GoBack thinks I. It is not showing in the ADD/Remove list. Check LiveUpDate. It showed an update available for GoBack, and not a small one either. So I downloaded this update, but it will not install it for me.

So now I have this useless bit of software on my PC which I don't know how to remove, and although it is not stopping the PC from working, it does throw up a message each boot up to say that it is turned off.

I am aware that I could attempt to ask Norton for help, but my life is short enough already. I have tried to get help in the past, funnily enough, also about GoBack, but on my old PC, and what a pain that was, and to no avail, they admitted that they didn't know why it couldn't work.

I reckon that GoBack is pretty invasive, and the 'read Me' says that a proper Add/Remove programme should be used to uninstall it,, but on that I appear to be well and truly stuffed.

Has any one any ideas please?

I suspect that all this is due, in no small part, to SP2, and the update that won't install is Nortons update for that. So I am, I believe, in a mess created by two of the biggest software providers. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, GoBack was the brain child of Roxio, and their software has always caused me terrible problems.

VoG II 12:27 17 Mar 05
  It's Me 12:59 17 Mar 05

Thank You. That was amazing. It worked a treat, after I had convinced myself that the first 'run' instruction was not really another attempt at installing it, even though it said it was.

Many thanks again.

Now I can have another go at trying to understand how to get my free update to Nero 6 Reloaded from Nero 6; lunch first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…