Norton Go Back -v- Norton Ghost

Quinlan 01:02 16 Dec 05

I have just purchased Norton Internet Security 2006 - two 'Bonus Packs' are included - Norton Ghost (ver 10.0) and Norton GoBack (ver 4.0)
Can anyone
1 Explain the difference between the two?
2 Explain why the supplier advised me NOT to install Norton GoBack?

sharkfin 01:31 16 Dec 05

Norton Goback works like xp system restore in that it backsup your system files and any other files you specify, then it will continually monitor any changes and update the backup. Its an incremental backup sort of thing, working in the background.

Norton Ghost however takes an Image of your entire system at that point in time. You can then use the image to restore your computer. You decide when to take an image yourself.

sharkfin 01:36 16 Dec 05

The disadvantage of goback is that it works in the background and you may find that your hard drive light blinking every few minutes as it checks for any changes.

personally I wouldnt advise using too as it sometimes mad my system slow a bit when it kicked in.

Disadvatage with Ghost is that you have to do it manually and in the case of a restore , unlike goback, is that the restore image may not be up to date and you may find that you lose files and programs that you may have installed after the image was taken.

Totally-braindead 01:50 16 Dec 05

The suppier may have said not to install goback as if you use XP it already has system restore and therefore is a bit of a waste, I used goback when I had win98 but don't need it since I moved to XP.

Quinlan 04:03 16 Dec 05

Many thanks to Sharkfin & Totally-brainwashed - you helped enormously.

compumac 10:04 10 Jan 06

My subscription to Norton Antivirus has just expired today using Norton Systemworks Premier 2005. In my infinite (?) wisdom I have purchased Norton Systemworks Premier 2006 and it was not until I received and opened the packaging that I realised that Norton Goback installs as part of the package, whereas in previous versions it was an option. Years ago I had a lot of problems with GoBack and am now very apprehensive as to the installation, with all of the ramifications of removing the current version and the re-updating etc. I realise that one can disable GoBack but I am now considering purchasing the subscription instead, especially after readng the comments in this thread.
I know that there will be comments made about moving from version 2005 to 2006, but the 2006 version was a christmas present.

Any comments?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…