Norton Ghost Uninstall & HDD Partition

Timman 23:06 02 Dec 06

Hello all. I wonder if you might be able to advise me regarding a possible problem. My Dell laptop came bundled with a 90-odd day trial version of Norton Ghost. Whilst this package looks fine, I do not plan to renew it as I would rather just set up restore points in XP.

The Ghost trial version is due to expire in 12 days time. I would have uninstalled it already, but I'm not sure what to do about the sizeable hard drive partition that was allocated to it at the factory for the purpose of storing Ghost backups.

If I uninstall Ghost now, will I be left with an inconvenient separate HDD partition, or is there a way to abolish this partition? If I allow the trial version of Ghost to expire, will this dissolve the partition upon its departure?

Any advice on this would be gratefully recieved. Cheers.

LastChip 01:16 03 Dec 06

First to try and answer some of your questions.

There is no way to change the partition set-up without using third party software and then there is always a small risk something will go wrong. Partition Magic is probably the best known partition manager, but not the only one. You really need to know what you're doing before embarking down that road.

Ghost will not dissolve anything on expiry, it will just cease to function.

Now, to address that spare partition.

All the computers I set up now for my family (and clients with their permission) have at least one extra partition - like the one you're talking about.

I reconfigure My Documents on to the secondary partition and recommend that all personal files live there.

Why? Because if you get a problem that is so severe, you need to reinstall the operating system from scratch, providing you don't format that secondary partition, all your personal files should remain safe. I've lost count of the times people have lost photographs and valuable data because they haven't backed them up and this is the next best thing.

Once you get the machine up and running again, you should be able to view that partition and all the files on it.

So in my view, your second partition is not a inconvenience, it's a bonus.

Enoch 05:57 03 Dec 06

Mistake to get rid of Ghost. If you do a search of this PCforum you will find that in many, many cases System Restore ceases to work. Norton Ghost works albeit with a shorter time element.

Respectfully, may I suggest you put the words System Restore into the search forum at the top of this page and read the results

Timman 17:59 03 Dec 06

Many thanks for your replies.

I never thought of it like that LastChip - but you do have a good point there. I do wish however that the seller had given me the option at the time of my ordering the machine. From what you say, it will now be very difficult for me to get rid of the partition without either some quite involved tinkering or the sledgehammer approach of reinstalling XP, and I am not going to go down that road unless I have to!

I know what you mean about system restore Enoch. I have had mixed fortunes with this function myself in the past when my wheels have fallen off. That said, all my files are backed up (a lesson learned from bitter bitter experience!) so that hopefully the worst that could happen would be a shed load of hassle reloading/sorting.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Smegs 06:28 08 Dec 06

Timman,

My In-Laws have just bought a Dell Desktop, with the same Ghost set-up. I just UNINSTALLED it, in the uninstall process, it asks what you want to do with the partion. I just added it to C:\. I think it was abou 37Gb.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5