Norton Ghost - a stupid question?

VoG II 21:30 01 Jul 05

Does it make any difference if the drive that you are imaging is defragged before the image is created?

Just wondering, not urgent.

dogbreath1 21:36 01 Jul 05

"Before doing a drive image, do a full system scan disk and defrag. It is not a necessary but will produce a cleaner backup and help avoid problems. Also, after restoring a backup, do a defrag again." This advice is given by click here

jimv7 21:36 01 Jul 05

No, but it is better to defrag before image created, and run virus/malware scans as well.

woodchip 21:37 01 Jul 05

Vog You should now that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

When I used to run DI it recommended Defrag and think there is a better chance of the Image being right. But got a bit lazy using True Image but no problems

VoG II 21:38 01 Jul 05

Thanks lads - must learn to read the destructions.

Dorsai 21:39 01 Jul 05

I don't think so.
The ghost image is a complete, full copy of the whole drive.

So it includes the empty space.

If the "empty space" contains data, this data is also backed up.

It probably will speed things up if you first empty the bin, (and any norton protected type files) then use a "free space wiper" to wipe the free space.

Then the ghost type program can compress the free space, than now contains "01010101" ad ad infinitem into a very short "followed by 10Gb of 01010101"

Other wise, all you do is backup the data, plus backup the "free" space, and the data that it used to contain...

I think.

Dorsai 21:43 01 Jul 05

Reading the destructions...

RTFM. AS they say...

LOL. Happy Ghosting VoG™

Ancient Learner 22:15 01 Jul 05

No it don't. It ignors empty space. So it is economical on the space it requires, ie. not the same as the drive it is backing up. Why would you want to back up empty space I wonder. and how can 'empty space' contain data, other than that that you don't want because you deleted it.

Now just where did I put that web address of the meaning of these funny sequences of letters. :))

woodchip 22:28 01 Jul 05

You are correct

CurlyWhirly 22:34 01 Jul 05

I always defrag my PC before creating a backup, as when the backup is restored, it is already defragged saving you the hassle of having to do it again!

dogbreath1 22:58 01 Jul 05

click here
click here
click here
If you 'search' for "Defrag", each of these pages suggests that a defrag is important before making a disc image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…