//some 3rd party need geo

Norton ghost problem

Botch Casually 16:23 13 Sep 04

I have just installed norton ghost 9.0 on a HP Pavilion zt1231s laptop. I seem to have produced a compressed copy of the drive but I have a worry. After installation the manual tells you to make sure the installation disc will run as a recovery disc. It won't the machine does check the DVD/CD-RW drive but instead of running the program it passes on to the hard drive and boots up windows XP instead. The drive is one supported by ghost. I wondor if it just isn't running up quickly enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sending my daughter off to darkest Wakes with it so I want her to be able to repair it OK if she has a problem.

ventanas 16:49 13 Sep 04

Check the boot order in your bios. The dvd\cd-rw should be before HD0.

Botch Casually 20:19 13 Sep 04

Thanks but the DVD/cd-rw is the first in the boot order in the bios, also the system can be forced to use the cd on startup, in either case it still boots up into windows.

ventanas 08:20 14 Sep 04

Is there any brief message at the bottom of the screen stating to press any key to boot from CD?

BRYNIT 11:17 14 Sep 04

I don't think the CD/DVD will boot directly you will need to create a boot disk.

Reading the manual from the web site you can check the integrity of the ghost image from windows.

BRYNIT 02:29 16 Sep 04

Just rechecked Norton instructions.

If you have created a ghost image direct to CD/DVD it includes the boot files. When booting from CD drive it will (only for a few second) ask “if you want to boot from CD press any button.”

Botch Casually 18:02 16 Sep 04

The problem is not with the imaage disc it is with the Ghost disc itself- when you try to run it as a recovery disc.
It does display a message, but it's not to press a key it reads;-

cannot find NTDLR

Any ideas?

Botch Casually 18:04 16 Sep 04

Sorry that should read

cannot find NTLDR

BRYNIT 01:42 17 Sep 04

Information on NTLDR click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…