Norton Ghost (Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro)

The Teacher 20:34 05 Apr 04

I am trying to make a complete backup of my system, as opposed to backing up important work files because I am having an upgrade to motherboard and RAM and I don't want the hassle of having to search for CDs etc., to re-install software that is already on.

The problem I have is when using Norton Ghost, from SystemWorks. I get as far as starting, copy to CD and then a dialogue appears WRT drivers for USB applications. The system then totally freezes and I have to restart, either with the three fingered salute or by the power button.

I have looked in the Ghost manual (PDF doc.) and also on the Symantec website for help but their suggestions don't work. However there is one that I haven't tried and that is, in the manual, it says to shut down all running programmes. The problem is, what do I leave open? I would have thought obviously Ghost or SystemWorks and Explorer but I am unsure and I don't want to do this if it doesn't work.

Can anyone advise?

Many Thanks.

The Teacher

jimv7 21:00 05 Apr 04

Use ghost to create a boot floppy, include the usb drivers if you wish, start the computer with the floppy in and try to image from there.

keenan 21:00 05 Apr 04

I presume Norton ghost appears in your 'all programs'menu,which is where you should access it from directly.

If so highlight 'Norton Ghost 2003' this will give you 'two' options , chose 'tutorials' and this will take you through a step by step guide of how to use it.

Theres a further excellent guide click here

The Teacher 21:34 05 Apr 04

Thanks chaps. I will give both the above a try. Will post up if successfull or not.

Ta again.

The Teacher

The Teacher 22:20 07 Apr 04

Still no joy. I was advised to try MS Backup but it is not listed on my PC. The only disk I have is a restore disk. Will I find it on there or will I have to download it from MS?

Thanks

The Teacher

GaT7 22:40 07 Apr 04

You could try asking Symantec Support directly for help - click here.

If you haven't used their system before, click on 'start free online support' & follow the onscreen instructions. You'll finally be presented with a form to enter all the necessary details including a description of your problems.

Be as specific, articulate & detailed as you can in describing your problems - sometimes they badly misunderstand the key issues & give you the wrong solutions! From personal experience they usually reply within 1-2 working days. Get in your query asap before the Easter weekend!

Good luck & let's know how you get on...

kp 22:52 07 Apr 04

Just one point of note. If you are making an image of your hard drive from your PC with the old motherboard it might not work when you try to reinstall after changing the motherboard. The old motherboard drivers will be installed and could cause problems. I use Norton Ghost to reinstall quickly on the same system when the hard drive gets a bit messy and slows down after months of use with installs, uninstalls etc. and in this respect it works very well and saves vast amounts of time. It is best to keep a separate back up of documents etc. that you can simply copy in from CD after the Ghost reinstall. Hope this helps.

kp

Gaz 25 23:00 07 Apr 04

If none of them suggestions work, you could try Acronis TrueImage. click here or DriveImage.

Good luck.

woodchip 23:01 07 Apr 04

As kp above, if you change the Motherboard you need to reinstall then make a backup with Ghost when it's working OK

The Teacher 21:23 08 Apr 04

Tried Symantec Support, no joy.

I have installed Partion Expert from Arconis and I am wondering whether I should partition the hard drive and then use Partition Expert to copy the partition.

One problem I have though is that by using the wizards and selecting Acitve Partion I only get the choice "D" to give this partition a letter. Now my CDRW/DVDRW drive is named as "D". Can I either change the name of the CD drive or is it absolutely necessary to name the partition, can it be just left as "C"?

Thanks again.

The Teacher

stalion 21:28 08 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…