//some 3rd party need geo

Norton Ghost Image File

Dekka123 10:39 15 Sep 04

My O/S is win XP Pro with SP2 Insalled, (no probs there by the way). I have taken two images of my C.Drive and put them on to my F.Drive Which had nothing else on . Both these drives are NTFS and my Norton Ghost is 2003. My query is that on the F.Drive along with the two image files are two files called Ghost spanned image files. Could someone please tell me what they are and can they be deleted as they are rather big files. Thanks in anticipation

cga 10:53 15 Sep 04

The first thing I should mention is that, If you ever need need to do a standalone restore, (less often need with 2003 but still, sometimes, necessary), I don't you can do this if your images are on an NTFS partition. Admittedly I have only just moved up to 2003 but this used to be the case and I have not seen anything that indicates a difference - only less reliance on SA restores. Ideally you should have a FAT32 partition for these images.

Now to your spanned files. If I am right in my assumption you will find that your 2 image files are exactly 2Gb and the spanned files will have similar names to the initial image files. This is because Ghost can only create a file of 2Gb in size so it links on to a second file for the remainder if the backup is to big.

You need to treat both of these files as 1 backup.

Dekka123 11:17 15 Sep 04

Thanks very much cga for your speedy and helpful reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…