Norton Ghost has screwed up my pc please help

keith-236785 23:37 22 Mar 05

Hi

I was looking through the utilities folder on norton ghost9, there was a prog called Pqboot32.exe so i double clicked and it brought up a dos type window asking which partition to boot so i chose my C: drive (winxp)

the computer rebooted and on checking i found my E: drive had vanished, so i thought i would just go back in and reverse the change, what a mistake.....i chose E: this time and now both drive C: and E: have dissapeared. (i dont have drive D: as it was a sata drive that died last week.)

on trying to check with a win98 startup floppy, drive c is missing as is dive E both giving the message

invalid drive specifications

through fdisk i can see the partitions but they are

31448mb NON - DOS

26788mb NTFS

and 18112 EXT DOS

i have mandrake linux as a dual boot system.

can anyone make sense of what has happened to my computer (i know it was my fault but how do i get it back)

the only thing i can do in fdisk is to create a new partition but this would destroy all my data.

is there a simple (or not so simple) way to recover from this?

thanks in advance

Paperman

keith-236785 00:07 23 Mar 05

^Bump^

BRYNIT 00:42 23 Mar 05

A search on the web indicates it is something to do with Partitioning your hard drive. You will find it in programs like partition magic. You may need a similar program to get your hard drive back to a working state. As it is late you may have to Waite later today for an answer.

keith-236785 01:34 23 Mar 05

thanks for that, unfortunately i cant get into windows to start partition magic or disk management so i will have to wait for any other advice

thanks again

keith-236785 08:22 23 Mar 05

Anyone got any ideas b4 i fdisk and lose all my stuff?

thanks

keith-236785 09:22 23 Mar 05

forgot to say, i am running windows xp pro but cant access it due to my foolishness.

if and when i do get back in, Norton ghost is history.lol

madzad 09:30 23 Mar 05

Im no genius, but wont it work in safe mode?

(I am no genius, but Norton suck Royal time.. I had to F disk twice in the past because of Norton!)...

The only reason you don't get a Norton Prog free with a Mc Donalds happy meal is it leaves a worse taste in your mouth than a big mac!! ;0)=

keith-236785 09:45 23 Mar 05

lol, nice thoughts m8, i cant seem to be able to access safe mode for some reason...maybe because drive c doesnt appear to exist. it is still there as are all the files, i can see them via linux.

when i try fdisk, it reports what was drive C: as NON - DOS i need to be able to rewrite the partition info but i dont know how.

i will try safe mode again

thanks

jimv7 12:04 23 Mar 05
  keith-236785 13:38 23 Mar 05

any of the afternoon crew got any ideas?

The Belarussian Mafia 14:06 23 Mar 05

In case you don't have your manual to hand, PQBoot is designed to enable you to switch between bootable primary partitions.

You could try emailing Symantec support...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…