Norton Ghost floppy will not start in DOS mode....

as400man 16:32 07 Nov 04

I have made a bootable floppy using the Ghost wizard. When I boot up the system it accesses the floppy drive OK for a few moments but then carries on and loads XP as normal. Any ideas?
Thanks and regards

jimv7 17:21 07 Nov 04

Check in the bios that it is set to boot from floppy first.

as400man 23:03 07 Nov 04

Pretty obvious I suppose but most PC problems are I - thanks for the nudge.
I thought if I had the floppy disk as the second boot option it would over-ride the first if a boot disk is present.
I changed this in light of your comments and I booted OK.
But now I get 'bad or missing command interpreter' even though the version of command.com is current. Any ideas?

jimv7 00:00 08 Nov 04

Create another boot floppy with ghost, this time do not lock the floppy as ghost will need to read and write files to the floppy.

as400man 22:55 08 Nov 04

I do not understand about 'locking' the floppy.
I created a DOS boot disk using XP and booted from that. Then I ran autoexec.bat from the Ghost disk and all looked good. However it reported that it could not assign a drive letter to my external hard drive so I could not verify the ghost disk image. Any ideas?

jimv7 23:45 08 Nov 04

There is a tab on the floppy, to open or lock it, leave it open so your computer can write to it on first boot up.

when creating the boot disk, you are asked if you want to boot normal, scsi or usb. If your writing to an external drive which is usb then you have to create a boot floppy with the usb options, I believe you need 2 floppies for this.

jimv7 23:47 08 Nov 04

you need to create the ghost boot disk from the actual ghost program within windows to access the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…