norton ghost backup

joe95 12:43 03 Jan 05

I've never backed up my PC before only docs.
I have XPHome 80g drive with 10g partition, Norton ghost read the instructions but lost my way after a couple of pages so I thought dive straight in.
Problem 1, the type of this usb device cuoldn't be determnied, so it may not be accessible in the virtual partition.You may need to add drivers for it in the users files section of the advanced setting dialog.I canelled that and carried on.
Problem 2 if I back up to cds then I am going to need quite a batch.
Now I am stuck, reading some of the other posts it sounds so easy or is it me? TIA

mattyc_92 14:29 03 Jan 05

If your "partition" is from your hard-disk that is IDE or SATA (internal drive), then you DON'T need to use the "advanced settings" option... Also, if you have a DVD-RW I suggest you backing up onto that cause if your hard-disk completely fails you wont have anything to recover from!!!!!

Also.... if you are using "Norton Ghost 9.0", then some of the options are different and you can only backup onto rewritable media (hard-disks.. aka partitions, cd-rw, dvd-rw and dvd+rw)

I used to use ghost, but found that when I wanted to recover the system it could take up to 2 hours, so I switched to "Acronis True Image" which recovers my system in 20 minutes max!!!!!

jimv7 14:39 03 Jan 05

Create a boot floppy from within ghost, pick usb drivers.

Reboot the computer with the boot disk in and check if your usb is seen, if so back up from dos.

joe95 14:56 03 Jan 05

mattyc_92
don't have dvd-rw.

joe95 15:21 03 Jan 05

jimv7
floppy contained
1 folder-ghost
file IBMDOS MS-DOS
FILE IBMB10 MS-DOS
FILE Mouse MS-DOS
IBMB10 only one to open got error message A:\IBMB10.com
The NTVDM CPU encountered an illegal instruction CS:0000 1P 07f8 OP 1b 53ff 00 close to terminate operation.
I am not familiar with messing in DOS
THANKS

mbp 15:47 03 Jan 05

Martyc, interested in the steps you take for True Image. Do you write it to CD's or External HDD? Then do you have to re-format you HDD and copy individual programs back item by item or do you copy the whole lot?

mattyc_92 17:57 03 Jan 05

I have "partitioned" my old hard disk (which is 30bg) and I use around 12gbs for backups!!!! the rest is either "unallicated" or being used a 2 drives labelled "My Drive" and "My Drive 2"... I backup my c:\ (the one with the operating system and programs on) around one a week (or just before I am "experimenting" with the registry or some program on my system) onto the "backup partition" and around one a month onto a DVD-RW... I have used around 7 gbs on my drive and the compression rate on True Image changes it to 3.5gbs (not bad ere!!!)

If I need to recover my whole system, I just either boot from the "bootable media" cd that True Image creates or recovor using the program from windows.... I select the backup and exicute it!!! no formatting needed!!!!!

If I need to recover some files, I just use True Image to browse through the backup archive and copy and paste the file(s) I need onto my drive!!!

I guess that the speed of recovering the system is to do with the speed of my computer, the ram size and the o/s drive is about 4 weeks old!!!!

megat193 18:28 03 Jan 05

I have used NG from 2001 to 2003 and now Version 9.0. I would agree that it takes an age - 4 hours to create and verify 38Gb on my HDD, but then I have peace of mind. I must admit that I have never tried Acronis. Previous versions of NG which used PC DOS caused me all sorts of problems, partly because I have a mixture of USB 1.1 and 2.0, and the backup only ran at 1.1 speed regardless. Equally, I would end up with verification errors depending on the level of compression, so the whole process had to be done again. Version 9.0 uses Microsoft .NET which I find much more stable - my weekly backups have all been verified successfully. However, I use a second HDD purely for backups, and would imagine that using CDs or DVDs would be a time-consuming business. If Acronis is that fast, then go for it is my advice.

mattyc_92 19:21 03 Jan 05

megat193 "True Image" can copy your system onto a cd-rw/dvd-rw/dvd+rw within an hour... It can "check the image for errors" within an hour also...

If you copy the system onto a cd-rw/dvd-rw/dvd+rw, then the "recovery time" can take up to 45 minutes.... I have only used 7 gb on my hard-disk, and it takes 20 mins to recover from partition and almost 30 minutes from dvd..... Where-as Ghost took me around 1 hour just for 3 gb and copied the system within 1 and a half...

On one occation, I had to recover my system using Ghost, and 3 hours went by and it got to 99% and came up with about 6 errors (do you share my pain???)....

joe95 22:45 03 Jan 05

bump

megat193 11:51 04 Jan 05

I think what we're saying is that Ghost is more complicated than Acronis...
The other point is that creating an image on to a partition on the HDD that you are trying to backup is anything but ideal - if the HDD fails then you cannot access either the original info or the ghost image.
Backing up to CDs is interminable - you have to wait for the message to insert the next cd. Even using DVDs you have the same problem, albeit the overall number of disks will be less.
How about buying a small (40Gb) second internal HDD and using that for the backups, or a USB 2.0 (1.1 would take a long time) external drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…