Norton Ghost 9

Graham ® 10:38 17 Oct 05

I have ordered from Ebuyer, so plenty of time to ask for information before it arrives (a little irony to start the day).

I am a little puzzled as to what it will do should I need to recover from, say, a failed hard drive.

click here gives the impression that will be no problem, but what are the practicalities?

I have a 8GB slave drive, and now a 80GB USB drive (as discussed yesterday when I asked if I could boot from this - apparently not).

Could I make an image of Windows on the Slave drive, then when a failure occurs make it Master and boot from it? Having created an image of the whole drive on the USB, can I simply add a new drive as Slave, copy everything over and set the new drive as Master?

Diodorus Siculus 16:09 17 Oct 05

Making an image will be fine; if possible back it up to a DVD also.

Graham ® 16:22 17 Oct 05

Thanks, what I'm looking for is the recovery scenario with my intended set-up:

Windows XP on 'C' Master Hard Drive, plus all programs.

A 'Ghost' copy of Windows XP on 'G' Slave Hard Drive.

A 'Ghost' copy of 'C' on USB Hard Drive 'H'.

Assuming Drive 'C' fails, how do I recover and fit a new Hard Drive? Will I be able to boot from 'G' using the Norton CD?

All I can see is the fact you can back-up the Operating System, Data and Programs, but not how to go about the recovery process. Has anyone done it?

PaulB2005 16:30 17 Oct 05

Imaging software like Ghost and True Image create an Image file which can be used to recover your system - its a compressed version of your data. Usually you will have (or make) a boot floppy or CD. When you need to recover from the saved image you use this boot floppy or Cd and follow the prompts.

To copy data to another disk and make it bootable involves cloning the disk instead. True Image can do this but i don't know about Ghost.

Graham ® 16:33 17 Oct 05

Thanks, it looks like I'll have to wait until it's all set up, then disconnect C and see what happens!

mattyc_92 16:37 17 Oct 05

You can backup EVERYTHING on your system onto DVD-R, CD-R, USB drive, another partition, etc.... And you can simply boot from the "emergency disk" and restore all to it's previous state.

Think of it as a "portable" and more "powerful" version of "System Restore".....

mattyc_92 16:37 17 Oct 05

Obviously, my last post is about Ghost, and not just Acronis.... ;-)

Graham ® 16:39 17 Oct 05

That's reassuring, I wish they'd make it plain what to expect.

Ancient Learner 16:48 17 Oct 05

"I wish they'd make it plain what to expect"

Do they ever? It all adds to the excitement and mystery of the thing! And encourages you to buy a crystall ball.

Seriously, the trick is to always make a recovery disk if you are asked if you would like to do it. If you don't, it won't be long before you wish you had. The recovery disk starts up the PC and gets the software going so that you can find the image you want to recover from.

Good Luck.

Graham ® 16:52 17 Oct 05

My confidence is growing! 'O ye of little faith!' I hear you cry.

mattyc_92 16:53 17 Oct 05

"encourages you to buy a crystall ball"

Yes.... I brought one of them over the weekend.... ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…