Norton Ghost 40 Hour back up ??

LJC 15:14 21 Oct 04

I am trying to do my first ever full system backup using Norton Ghost 2003. I am backing up TO a new 250 Gb USB2 external HD. When I start the backup it says it estimated time is 40hrs to back up the 15gb backup file. Does this sound about right, seems very long to me. Is there any way to tell that the external drive in running at USB2 speed and not USB1 speed ?

Thanks all helpers

ventanas 15:21 21 Oct 04

As a comparison I regularly use Ghost to back up about 20Gb data to an internal hard drive. Takes about forty minutes. But you really need an answer from someone who uses an external drive.

Diemmess 15:31 21 Oct 04

Notes from memory of Ghost Mk1 a couple of years ago. I was able to save an image @ about 2GB /hr but I never tried to transfer as much as 15Gb.

It looks as though you might save a lot of time moving all data to a partition on your new drive first.

You could also delete all Temporary Internet files.

If your eventual aim is to transfer the OS and all applications to the new drive, that makes partitioning the new drive more important still.

Finally you can store the image file with the data and Restore it to the first partition on the new drive.

LJC 16:20 21 Oct 04

Thanks Ventanas & Diemmess, I bought this 250Gb external as a safeguard against the event of OS failure. I was hoping to just restore if every thing went wrong in the future. I will try a few of your Ideas. Any other ideas on checking the drive is running at USB2 speed and not USB 1 speed are most welcome

Diemmess 16:54 21 Oct 04

Have no answer about USB1 v USB2 for you, just guesses.

System Information should show that you have a USB2 root hub, and the large new drive is almost certainly able to use USB2.

LANDCRUISER 17:03 21 Oct 04

Last time i used Norton Ghost to back up it took me 7hrs to back up 15.600mb using usb1 so yours should be a lot quicker hope this helps

Sparrowhawk 17:29 21 Oct 04

See USB Nomenclature Information:

USB
click here

Hi-Speed USB or USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s

USB or original USB or USB 1.0 or 1.1 is
1.5 Mb/s or 12 Mb/s

USB 2.0 is 40 times quicker than USB 1.1

larryweir 15:41 31 Oct 04

Perhaps the difficulty is with your having USB 1.1. Ghost states that if you have any USB 1.1 devices connected, then that is what will be used by a USB 2.0 device. Result 2 days to back up.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…