Norton Ghost

sarah1980 15:18 27 Dec 06

Hi there,

I want to back up my hard drive (programme,s settings, files etc.) onto an external hard driven, is Norton Ghost the best program to hekp with this?

i have a Buffalo Drivestation 160GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance!

rawprawn 15:30 27 Dec 06

I think, and many forum members agree Acronis True Image is the best backup program.I has saved my bacon many times and is totally reliable.
click here

SANTOS7 15:37 27 Dec 06

click here
have to aggree with rawprawn as True Image does not need to boot into DOS to run, but completes its backup in Windows. If your main hard drive containing your Windows operating system should fail on you, True Image provides a way to boot that will still recognize your external hard drive and be able to restore your image files from these devices.

sarah1980 09:56 30 Dec 06

OK, so I have my external hard drive (as below), now do I just plug in and copy all the files over from the C: drive? Or do I wait till my TruImage software arrives, install this and then somehow copy it over?

I need to make sure the programmes as well as the files are copied over, which of the above methods will do this? Can I also copy Outlook emails and contacts (no appointemnts) over?

What about when I need to backup at the end of the day, will it update all the files that have been altered/created automatically? Or do I have to copy them across?

And finally, someone at work told me I should create a new "drive" for my itunes, so as not to clog up the main one. Is this true and how do I do it?

Sorry for all the questions, as you may have guessed I am a bit of a novice!!

g0nvs 10:19 30 Dec 06

Ghost works very well for me.

rawprawn 09:04 31 Dec 06

"Or do I wait till my TruImage software arrives"

You can download the software direct from the link I gave you and start using it immediately. It will copy everything to your external hard drive and you can also make a "Secure Zone" which is a partition on your C: which will have a copy of everything and can be recovered at any time.
You can schedule Acronis to run at any time you wish and it will make an incremental backup of any chandes made.
There is no need to make a new drive for ITunes, just use a folder. You can if you wish but it means partitioning your C: and we don't know how big that is, also you need special software to do it.

Lawford 20:03 06 Feb 07

Lots of help thanks, but which programme to buy?
Norton Ghost.
TruImage.
Acronis?

How does value for oney compare?

From reading various books, the programme include with XP (?) is not for dummies..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac