Norton Ghost

Granddad Ray 09:54 31 Aug 03

I recently installed Norton Ghost as part of their Norton System Works 2003 package. I have tried several times to use it to back up my C Drive. Each time the attempt has failed.

Firstly it reports:-
'This type of USB device could not be determined so it may not be accessible in the Virtual Partition. You may need to add drivers for it in the User Files Section of the Advanced Settings
dialog'
The relevant USB is used by an Epson Perfection 1240U scanner. The driver is up to date, the computers reports the port is OK and the scanner works perfectly. On this basis I ignored the report and continued.

The installation then reported:-
'Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virutal Partition.DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slots left on the boot disk' This I don't understand because I am trying to create the backup in the best location they recommend ie - a separate HDD. The first partition on that disk I have reserved for the back up. It is NTFS formatted the same as my C drive and the partition is completely empty.

I went to Symmantec?s on-line help and downloaded the several documents they recommended to solve my problem. None of these documents related directly to this issue and I contacted their support team. I was given yet another series of documents which made very difficult reading and, I must admit, I simply cannot understand them. I asked the support team for the meaning of some of the words and abbreviations the documents use but, despite asking three times they have not replied.

Can anybody help?

jimv7 09:58 31 Aug 03

Create a boot disk with the option in ghost.

Reboot the computer with the floppy in and ghost will run.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:04 31 Aug 03

click here probbaly not much help but useful as an accurate installation guide....simple to understand as well. Never had much faith in Ghost, I prefer XXcopy, which is free, click here.

click here for 'Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virutal Partition.DLL'

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…