norton firewall v xp updates conflict

david.h 10:50 22 Aug 04

I have xp pro went to windows update site which normally works ok, downloaded the new update search windows updated software to scan for available updates kept getting different errors each time the scan finished checking my pc for updates.

After disabling norton firwall 2003 and re visiiting windows update all worked ok, I had set permissions to always trust microsoft by to no avail the only way now seems to temp disable nfw 2003 each time i visit ms updates.

anyone else got this problem [intending to use norton N/FW2005 when it comes out next month] hoping that will sort the issue.

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 11:20 22 Aug 04

Hi, Im having a similar problem (click here) however Norton Internet security and Anti-Virus 2004 both wont work and I cant get the new windows update downloader to work (just get not found errors)I have no Idea whats going on, but your not alone ;-(

david.h 11:24 22 Aug 04

one of the errors i was getting came up on ms knowledge base and now works ok.

fix is

1. control panel
2. internet options
3.security tab
4.trusted sites
5. click sites button
6.add the following web sites

http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
click here

click ok

[I found going into my firewall and giving permit access to microsoft update made to difference to the problem]

david.h 11:27 22 Aug 04

the above thread you should add all 3 web sites the last one appeared as ckick here

bluesteve 11:12 11 Apr 05

Since loading Norton Firewall 2005 on my two computers running XP Pro and XP Home I cannot access windows update. I have added the addresses in the trusted sites to no avail.
Also tried turning off the firewall, still does not work.
Have also attemtped to follow the advice on Norton helpsite, again to no avail.

It seems as if they have not resovled the problem in 2005
Any ideas

Lettervanman 11:27 11 Apr 05

click here
Try this, it wiil reset Firewall rules and then allow you to configure each prog. as you access them on line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…