Norton Firewall 2004

Lettervanman 20:05 26 Mar 04

I have downloaded an upgrade from 2002 to 2004
but when I try to change any settings it tells me that I "have insufficient Privileges" and I can change nothing! (98se)
Any ideas please?

GaT7 20:18 26 Mar 04

Do you use different profiles to access your PC. If yes, try to logon into Windows with the same profile you used to install Norton Firewall. If still no joy post back.

(PS - there is a way to be able access Norton products from all profiles, but I won't discuss it in this particular post.)

Lettervanman 20:38 26 Mar 04

Crossbow 7, Thanks for reply.
I am on 98se and am the sole user,I thought profiles were on XP.
I recently upgraded my antivirus with no problem at all,but am stumped with this one,Norton site says that it is installed ok!

GaT7 21:08 26 Mar 04

"This problem can happen immediately after installation if you entered a password but did not save the password." or "In other situations, this problem may be due to corruption of ...or Norton Personal Firewall program files or registry entries. Corruption can occur during the installation or later."

Symantec's solution - click here

(Had similar problems & found mine were related to Profiles. Am on Win98se too & is possible to have Profiles on it.)

Please let us know how you get on...

GaT7 23:42 26 Mar 04

This maybe useful too: "How to install Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall that was purchased online" - click here

Lettervanman 09:25 27 Mar 04

You asked me to let you know how I got on.
Well here goes!
I finally got into bed at00:30 with the problem still there.
Symantec knows that there is a problem because it is detailed on their site. Trouble is it involves deleting any Norton prog.on your computer, not just Firewall.
I had to download three Reg.Edit tools and print out reams of instructions. My first attempt failed because I had not deleted all references to any Norton stuff.
I started again at 05:30 and finally got both Progs. installed and running by 08:30!
I shall be writing to Symantec!!

Lettervanman 09:30 27 Mar 04

Of course,during all this downloading from Symantec I was without both Antivirus and Firewall protection because my first attempts to sort things out resulted in both progs.being U/S.
I think I will go back to bed now!!
Thanks for your interest.

GaT7 16:09 27 Mar 04

Thanks for letting us know Lettervanman. Hope things run smoothly & you don't ever have to lose any more sleep over this again.

You may want to put a check in the resolved box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac