Norton Firewall 2003

shizzy 22:16 09 Apr 04

Has anyone any ideas please on why the above disables itself every time the computer is switched off. It has only started doing this for the last two or three weeks. OS is XP

lucky1 22:26 09 Apr 04

If memory serves me correctly there was an issue with an update from Norton several months back with disabled the automatic update facility, but I have no knowledge of any problem such as the one you describe. I run the 2003 version and haven't had any problems (touch wood). Probably stating the obvious but are your updates up to date?

lucky1 22:26 09 Apr 04

should read 'which disabled'

hugh-265156 22:33 09 Apr 04

click: start/run type msconfig and click the start up tab

is nisserv.exe or nisum.exe (i think that is correct) unticked maybe?

if so re tick it/them.

hugh-265156 22:35 09 Apr 04

easy way would be to maybe do a system restore back a few weeks if you can to when all was ok.

shizzy 22:42 09 Apr 04

It is my husbands PC and yes all up to date.He seems to think an update did it and did do a restore but no joy.We did look in Startup but wasn't sure what the files would be called.Will look for your suggestions huggy. Thanks both.

GaT7 22:48 09 Apr 04

Are you also saying each time you reboot Norton Firewall 2003 starts disabled? If so this may help: click here. Click on the yellow box in the middle of the article that corresponds to your OS.

LANDCRUISER 23:17 09 Apr 04

I had the same problem with mine, i tried all the things that has been mentioned but still it disable itself, so i deleted it & reinstalled the firewall, & touch wood its fine

shizzy 23:23 09 Apr 04

Had looked at the site but missed that. Get him to try that and will report back.

GaT7 23:38 09 Apr 04

As LANDCRUISER mentioned (& as the link says too), if the Msconfig fix doesn't work he may have to uninstall & reinstall the program (If he needs to do this tell him to manually check for updates right after reinstall). Good luck, G

shizzy 23:39 09 Apr 04

Everything was as it should be in msconfig so think it must be down to an update that caused this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…