Norton causing shutdown havoc

Kate B 12:54 19 Apr 04

I installed Norton Internet Security 2004 on a friend's rather elderly Sony Vaio laptop last week - 600Mhz Intel processor, 128MB of Ram, running Win ME. Installation went fine (if slowly) but when we tried to shut it down it went into a loop, suggesting we should hit ctrl-alt-del to restart it, which we did, and it duly restarted.

Same thing happened twice more, whereupon we went nuclear and disconnected its power supply. I hoped the problem might resolve itself on a restart, but apparently it hasn't. Any ideas on how to cure it?

mosfet 13:34 19 Apr 04

I am terrified of Norton.The trouble it has caused in the past,both AV & Disk doctor.Others I know will differ.Maybe my poor configuring...Regards Les

Kate B 13:45 19 Apr 04

Les, did you have a similar problem? If so, did you manage to cure it?

rickimalone 13:49 19 Apr 04

Norton Internet Security 20004 is much too resource intensive for you friends Laptop.........

I know on the box it say's that it can run it but unless your using at least a Intel 2ghz or AMD 1500+ with 256mb ddr RAM as a minimum......

Even on the sysytem above it would slow things right down..........

With symantec you can get your money within 60days....... ring them up and get a refund............

rickimalone 13:53 19 Apr 04

On starting up the laptop if F8 to get into safe mode..... When in safe mode configue NIS2004 through the options not to start at boot up for both the security and anti-virus....

Ensure auto-protect is off as well as live update and then reboot your laptop into normal mode and un-installthe program .........

Also you might want to look at some standalone anti-virus freeware that will be ok for the laptop..As NIS2004 is quite a powerful program for a home-user.......

Goodluck...........

Kate B 14:02 19 Apr 04

rickimalone, thanks for the thoughts ... if nobody else can come up with anything else I'll just take round something less resource-intensive.

rickimalone 14:13 19 Apr 04

No problems.... Im sorry to say that there really is nothing that you could do to get NIS2004 to run on that machine without major problems....

The cpu is just not upto the job of having all the programs of NIS2004 running even if you configured the program to run without live up-date and with just the minimum running that would still leave you witha PC that as soon as any other program started would crash........

A possible RAM upgrade may help but this could be quite expensive and your still held back by the slow cpu..........

Norton is good when you can run it ive used it for 5years now and NIS2004 is the most resource intensive program ever created by them.....

When looking for another program, do they really need all the protection that you get with NIS2004???

Kate B 16:55 19 Apr 04

looks like it's a major uninstall - thanks for all that, rickimalone - the machine has handled all kinds of other stuff fine, including Photoshop 4, so I thought it would be up to it (it's actually my old laptop).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…