is norton the best??????

phildux 23:55 01 Apr 05

is norton the best or is there other software out there that just as good or even better and not so tempremental as norton. i understand that norton takes up a lot of resources.

VoG II 00:01 02 Apr 05

In my humble opinion, NO. Please see click here

Paranoid Android 00:03 02 Apr 05

YES - according to lots of people

NO - according to lots of other people.

That may seem flippant but it's actually quite difficult to get a definitive answer here because users seems to be split between those who love Norton and those who hate it. At least part of the argument has to do with whether or not to pay for AV software.

Suffice it to say that Norton has always done a good job for me. I have also used AVG7 (free) and Antivir Personal (also free), both without picking up any nasties, and yet I somehow ended up chosing something that I had to pay for.

Make of that what you will.

Marvin

DieSse 00:39 02 Apr 05

If you want to see an independant test house's results for virus detection go to

go to click here

If you want to look at the site for the AV program with the best record in those tests

"Since the first submission of NOD32 for Virus Bulletin testing in May 1998, NOD32 system did not miss a single "In the Wild" virus in any of the tests."

go to click here

You will also see that NOD32 has the lowest system impact and fastest scan rates of any of the top detecting AVs.

Whilst past performance of any AV program is not a guarantee it will never miss a virus, the best record over the years has to count for a lot IMHO. And no, it's not free - but what price security.

phildux 01:00 02 Apr 05

uninstalled norton got and installed AVG V7, scanned system found 5 viruses and the system has speeded up as well can't be bad

Starfox 01:44 02 Apr 05

Must agree with VoG you will not better AVG.

I wiil never understand why someone should wish to pay for something when there is a better alternative available for free.

dan11 01:53 02 Apr 05

I used Norton for 3 years. The best......... thing I did was to get rid of it.

Not had one problem since using AVG.

I have always used Norton Systemworks and never found a problem. It seems to work in the background without you even knowing its there, but it does its job. Each to there own I suppose!!

zarobian 08:09 02 Apr 05

Please refer to PCAdvisor Magazine May 2005 page 74 about Internet Security Suites. I am sure this will put you in right direction.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:56 02 Apr 05

I run a mailout list of over 90 AVG users and all have had no problems...you will find this much better than any lame virus tests.

G

phildux 10:40 02 Apr 05

thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac