Norton AV Update

SURVEY 10:57 23 Jan 05

A friend has Norton Antivirus 2001 and her subscription is about to expire. As has been criticised in other messages to this forum, Norton stop supporting their products after a couple of years to force you to buy their later products. NAV 2001 is no longer supported for virus definition updates and she has the choice of an upgrade to NAV2005 or Norton Internet security 2005.

I run Norton on 3 computers and I know what a pain the program can be as it depoits bits of program everywhere icluding the Registry and it is dificult to completely remove even using Symantec's removal tool. Her computer runs XP (just) but is low on memory, speed etc. I know that NAV and NIS slow the computer down but NIS would slow it down more, so I think she must dscount this. So the question I pose is - if one goes for the upgrade from NAV 2001 to NAV 2005, does she need to uninstall NAV2001 or will the upgrade NAV2005 load over the top without any problems?

Lettervanman 11:48 23 Jan 05

Can't say about going from 2001 to 2005,but when I downloaded an upgrade from 2003 to 2004 the whole thing went pear shaped!
I then had to uninstall all Norton progs. and then re-install latest version.
This was on 98se.I think that antivirus upgraded ok but when I tried to upgrade Firewall it all went wrong!
Good Luck!

goonerbill © ® 12:01 23 Jan 05

i know a lot of people dont like pc world, as well as me but they have norton system works and internet security bundled together for £30 at the moment.

as with all software, it would be best to uninstall the old version and then install the new, nortons can be a pain but i have never encountered any problems doing it this way. also if you do install over the old version it should see it and remove the old version.

if your friend has a firewall, she would not NIS but could always buy the bundle and sell NIS and recover some of the cost.

Mikè 12:08 23 Jan 05

Nav 2005 will provide a basic protection against worms trojans etc, and xp recognises it as a firewall, this may enable you to remove any separate software firewall.

You could run with SP2's firewall running but (in my opinion) not really necessary.

goonerbill © ® 09:56 24 Jan 05

winxp's firewall is about as much use as a sieve. it may stop somethings getting in but it dont stop anything from communicating going out.

Nav 2005 is recognised as a firewall by xp ?????(click here norton A\V 2005 link) new to me and according to nortons.

ventanas 10:28 24 Jan 05

2001 must be removed first. 2005 will only install over the top of the 2004 versions. But I've never seen it recognised as a firewall.

SURVEY 14:19 24 Jan 05

Ventanas - It is Norton Internet security that provides the Firewall not Norton AntiVirus. To uninstall NAV2001 is it sufficient to Add/Remove Programs or do you have to use the Norton Remove Tool? If the latter, it will be a pain.

ventanas 21:24 24 Jan 05

Just use Add/Remove, It will never be completely removed, but should be sufficient. I have never had any problems changing from one version to another.

By the way I know full well that NAV is no firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…