Norton AV and Symantec Site

melvyn 17:33 28 Jun 05

I've recently found some malware on my PC, however running Norton AV on my machine reports no problems and no infections. (This is the 2003 version, which is under subscription and regularly updated)

However when I visit the symantec website and use their programme to search for malware etc, it reports 41 files infected. These infections seem to be predominately "adware.iefeast, adware. winprotect, dialer.xlite and download.adware.

Any ideas why the site finds them yet my updated copy does not?

Eric10 18:02 29 Jun 05

This is because malware is different from virus infections and Norton AV2003 is an anti-virus program. For malware/adware you should run a program such as Ad-Aware click here or SpyBot S&D click here which are both free for personal use.

melvyn 22:51 29 Jun 05

Thanks for information - I am already running spybot and adaware, but just thought it seemed odd for the website under "virus detection" found all these spy/adware infections.

Eric10 23:02 29 Jun 05

I think that the newer Norton/Symantec antivirus products include a degree of malware detection but Norton 2003 predates this feature.

Danoh 23:09 29 Jun 05

Agreed; my Norton Internet Security 2005 (more than just A/V 2005) picked up and quarantined some trojans, not something the A/V component would have picked up by itself.

melvyn 23:35 29 Jun 05

Thanks Guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…