Norton AV queries

Slaney 22:54 20 Oct 04

I need to renew/upgrade my Norton AV 2001 next month. As husband and I want two licenses instead of two single subs (as now), is it better to renew 2001 or go for upgrade to AV 2005 or 2004 Pro? I have read some luke warm reviews of 2005. Any problems with either upgrade with XP SP2? Am about to instal DVD writer so I can back up huge My Docs before installing SP2: should AV be installed first or last of that lot?
Any advice gratefully received ...

JoeC 08:13 21 Oct 04

for the 3 user licence of the 2005 version as at

click here

You should have no problems with the install as Norton have things covered in respect of XP SP2

ribo 09:55 21 Oct 04

Although Symantec say that 2005 is ok with SP 2 I found that it would not initiate the scan for updates(Automatic updates) on startup. I took this up with them via their e-mail support and although I must admit they replied,they did not answer the questions,but referred to me to numerous Q and A, which I had already read,trying to solve the problem myself. I did find,eventually on a MSM knowledge Base,that MS that there is a problem with Auto update.

click here

Although I had paid for the 2005 upgrade,I jettisoned it and now use AVG.

anchor 10:14 21 Oct 04

The problem you refer to applies only to Norton A/V 2003, (or so Microsoft state on your link). From your experience it seems to be other versions also.

ribo 11:06 21 Oct 04

I agree. but the same thing was happening with my upgrade from 2003 to 2005.Symantec would not seem to accept this. This was my experience.

ventanas 11:52 21 Oct 04

The professional version of Norton AV comes with two licences. This may suit you.

By the way, I've just bought the upgrades to the 2005 versionsof AV and Firewall. Does anyone know if the 2004 versions should be uninstalled first. (Sorry to hi-jack your thread Slaney). I've just tried the Firewall upgrade on a PC that has never had anything Norton on it and it went on OK.

Jaycee49 12:11 21 Oct 04

I use Norton Antivirus 2003 and the subscription is due for renewal. I am amazed at the cost for this. I can purchase the 2005 edition for virtually the same price! If anyone has any further view on Norton 2005 I would be very interested. One review I have read was quite critical of its worm blocking ability as well as the RRP in view of the fact that the antivirus package does not include a firewall.

Carafaraday 12:13 21 Oct 04

I don't know whether this is any help, but I have Norton IS 2005 which went on 'over' 2004 without any problems. I think the small print said 2004 was ok, 2003 wasn't.

Slaney 18:04 21 Oct 04

Thank you all -- your comments have made it certain that we'll go with AVG when our subs run out next month. (Our IT pro son said this too, but we thought we'd like to check ...!)

Gaz 25 18:11 21 Oct 04

very good for free.

However it's ability to detect and remove viruses from the computer in real-time is somewhat poor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…