Norton AV problem

slowhand_1000 21:32 08 Jan 04

O/S is W98SE

All of a sudden tonight when trying to open documents (Word, Excel, jpeg's etc) the pc just hung while waiting to open the file or programme.

After having to constantly do a Ctrl/Alt/Delete I noticed that the Norton AV logo that appears in the system tray was taking approx 1 minute or so to appear after starting the pc.

When I tried to open Norton from the Start Menu programme list it took what seemed an eternity to open. Also trying to right click on it in the systems tray did not bring up any options.

I un-installed Norton and the files/programmes opened instantly as normal, having re-installed Norton the problem has returned.

When I re-installed Norton I did get an error message, number 4002.519, saying that Auto-Protect needed a fix. This was fixed by installing the latest update.

cheers

slowhand

slowhand_1000 22:50 08 Jan 04

Before I hit the sack

GYPSY 23:04 08 Jan 04

i had similar problems which appeared to be caused something on my pc, nav found nothing but after a scan with "ad-aware" and spybot search and destroy the problem was cleared, still not sure why it happened but i had tried all the courses of action suggested by symantec for error
4002.519.to no avail.
no harm in trying the two progs mentioned, one of them solved the problem for me.

liveD Backwards 23:06 08 Jan 04

found at click here

"Excel + Word and NAV have been slow to load etc, and this is apparently the problem.

"We had to do a little sleuthing today. Many readers wrote in with problems that turned out to be related. A certificate which Verisign used for signing SSL certificates has expired. When applications which depend on that certificate try to make an SSL connection, they fail and try to access crl.verisign.com, the certificate revocation list server. This has effectively DOS'ed that site, and Verisign has now updated the DNS record for that address to include several non-routable addresses, reducing the load on their servers. Some applications affected include older Internet Explorer browsers, Java, and Norton Antivirus (which may manifest itself as Microsoft Word being very slow to start). Hope this helps a few people, and if you have other apps with problems, please post about them below."

Good 'ol verisign eh. Nice to know the webs in safe hands"

VoG II 23:07 08 Jan 04

Similar problem (and solution) click here

slowhand_1000 23:20 08 Jan 04

Tried the ad-aware and..........bingo it worked. Don't know why I didn't try that first thing. But that is one for the memory bank.

Thanks to all other suggestions. They to shall be filed away for the future.

cheers again

slowhand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…