Norton AV 2005 password problem

pipedream 19:44 02 Sep 05

A neighbour of mine 'upgraded' to NAV2005 recently and since then has to enter his dial-up username & password every time he tries to go online - has anyone seen this before? It also causes a kernel32.dll error to occur once connected. I can't find anything on their website. Unfortunately he didn't speak to me first otherwise I'd have suggested avoiding Norton & going with AVG or similar.

Diodorus Siculus 19:45 02 Sep 05

Tell him to get his money back - symantec allow it if you are not satisfied.

Then install Avast or AVG

RobCharles1981 19:49 02 Sep 05

Maybe he should try and re-install NAV or goto control pannel in the add/remove properties click on NAV Program and click change/remove and see if there is any options too remove that password

pipedream 19:50 02 Sep 05

He downloaded it unfortunately but still may be possible to get a refund

GaT7 19:57 02 Sep 05

Tell him to try this (for WinXP):

In Control Panel -> Network Connections, right-click the dial-up connection & select Properties. Under the Options tab, he should UNtick the boxes 'Prompt for name & password...', & press OK.

NAV slows down one's computer considerably. As already mentioned tell to try the free AVG or Avast, after uninstalling or, at least, disabling NAV. G

pipedream 08:39 03 Sep 05

Thanks all, I should be seeing him next week - will report back & tick 'resolved' then. Since kicking out the Norton bloatware three years ago & going AVG, I haven't looked back! Will suggest he does the same.

pipedream 22:59 12 Sep 05

Uninstalled Norton Password Manager, now PC is OK again. Surprisingly the rest of NIS doesn't seem to be causing problems, even AntiSpam so have left that on. I've recommended he bins it when the subscription runs out and goes AVG etc. then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…