Norton AV 2005 with a firewall

Glen 21:48 26 Jan 05

I have Norton antivirus 2005 installed, and an expert does not think I need a Firewall. I have previous experience with Zone Alarm and liked it. Should I carry on with no firewall or instal Zone Alarm. I run 98SE.

Glen

VoG II 22:01 26 Jan 05

Some "expert"!

I would put on Zone Alarm, especially if you have a broadband connection.

Pikachu 22:05 26 Jan 05

You probably better off with a Firewall, the reason I suggest this is a relative of mines was having a problem with his PC broadband internet connection (problem was that he was getting slow connectivity) the reason being he was being hit by some Spybot, can't remember the name of the virus. Ok there is good spyware and adaware programs that would get rid of the stuff but everytime I removed it - it was just re-appearing.

I found that even though he had Adaware, Spybot and Norton Anti-virus 2005 he was still getting a slow connection. I then installed Internet Security 2005 having this installed and doing an update helped as his connection went back to normal and now gets his normal 512kb.

So personally I belive firewalls are good, especially the problem my relative had.

Pikachu 22:10 26 Jan 05

Norton Internet Security has both Antivirus and a Firewall and theres only a few quid difference between just buying Norton Antivirus 2005 and Norton Internet Security 2005.

Mikè 22:16 26 Jan 05

Norton AV 2005 incorporates a lot of "Firewall" features, XP's security centre even recognises it as a firewall.

Completealias 22:21 26 Jan 05

Pc world has an offer for norton internet security for £26.99 on the web and £29.99 in store

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos