Norton antivirus/security software update

astronomer2 17:00 24 Jul 03

Three years ago I bought Nortons 2000 antivirus and internet security package. Six months ago I had to re-load Windows 98SE (and the Norton's stuff)butlost all the live updates. No problem catching up with three years worth of antivirus updates, but the internet security updates exceeded 12Mb and although I sat around for over an hour to download it all, the darn thing would not update the software.

So, I am now going to buy the latest Norton's package, I assume its Nortons 2003, but I seem to think that PC Advisor have said it can be problematical - I cant remember why. Do I have to remove Norton 2000 first or can I put Norton 2003 on top of it?

Any suggestions?

Gazza54B 17:15 24 Jul 03

I had probs with Norton 2003 on my system running XP, I have reverted back to the tried and trusted Norton 2002

pepe 17:18 24 Jul 03

I have Norton 2003 on Xp Home, No Problems.

hoverman 17:19 24 Jul 03

Strange how some people have problems with some software and others do not. I have had Norton Internet Security 2003 (which includes NAV 2003) installed on my system running XP from the day it was released and have never had any problems.

Stuartli 17:20 24 Jul 03

Have you paid your annual subscription for the updates?

KARINA 17:23 24 Jul 03

Can anyone tell me how to install xp to replace windows 98. Basically i need an idiots guide explained in plain english as computing is not exactly one of my strongest points.

I have a Dell Dimension bought way back in September 2000 with pentium processor 3.

What i want to know is how do i install windows xp. Is my computer compatible with running windows xp without having to make any hard drive adjustments -

I do have windows 98, but was never given any disks or cds in case i ever wanted to re-install windows 98 again. When i asked Dell about this - they just said that 'they wouldn't recommend my re-installing windows 98', 'if i ever had a problem then i would have to contact them'

I wouldn't really have a clue where to start, eg what do i do with all my files etc ie photo, office, spreadsheet files that i've saved.

Please help...........thanks in advance.

KARINA 17:31 24 Jul 03

Oops.........i've put my question on the wrong thread......sorry about that.......i'll put it on a new thread this instant......sorry again....

david.h 17:45 24 Jul 03

dont get norton 2003 just yet the new versions of norton due about sept apparently, if any of the maidenhead employee's are members perhaps they can give a intended release date

lixdexik 18:11 24 Jul 03

before you can up date to 2003.
I had to reinstall 2003 last week because of an update download peoblem, after uninstalling 2003 I could not get 2003 to reinstall because it had not removed all of the 2003 when uninstalling. It kept finding traces of the oroginal installation and could not over write it. I went to the norton online help and was given a wee prog to down load that removed all traces of the prog so it then reloaded with no probs. So the answer to the question is yes you must uninstall all old versions.. I would recomend norton ineternet security 2003 or what ever comes next, to anybody, I have never found any real problem with it.

Cheers Lixdexik.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:27 24 Jul 03

Why not download AVG from click here and you will never need to worry about subscriptions.

G

holly polly 21:28 24 Jul 03

running norton cooperate edition 2001 on my system and still updates ok ,i have norton system works 2003 ,after reading this thread i dont think there is anything to be really gained by upgrading,then aggain no doubt someone will prove me wrong ,cheers -hol pol...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…