Norton Antivirus/firewall alerts

fazer 14:06 26 Jun 06

Since updating my firewall/antivirus software over the weekend, I can not stop alerts being displayed advising me that both the firewall and antivral software have been disabled which I always do when wanting to play Flightsimulator (and off course disconnecting from the internet).

You may think that this is not a problem but everytime the alert comes on, it minimises any other open window and continues to do so until I re-enable both antiviral and firewall.

Any ideas please? - I can't see anything in the various options.

Devil Fish 15:05 26 Jun 06

if these are windows security centre alerts

Click start go to control panel then security centre

in the left hand box at the bottom click on change the way security centre alerts me uncheck relevant boxes click ok then exit

fazer 15:15 26 Jun 06

Thank you Devil Fish - I'll try that.

However, I don't think they are Windows because I have always disabled XP's firewall (in favour of Norton's) and also, these alerts have Norton's brand splashed all over them.

fazer 18:18 26 Jun 06

Devil Fish

No joy I'm afraid - all the boxes you describe were unchecked anyway.

The alert is Norton-related as basicly says:

"Symantec"
"Your computer is at risk in the following areas" then goes on to tell me that both are switched off. Trouble is, I can't find any option within Symantec to turn these alerts off.

Any other ideas before I e-mail symantec?

Thanks.

citadel 19:31 26 Jun 06

click on norton av icon, options, norton protection centre. there are boxes to tick or untick for show av and firewall alerts.

fazer 21:11 26 Jun 06

Citadel

"Norton protection Centre" - I haven't that option.

I'm using version year-2003 which I have just found out after searching symantecs site looking for someone to e-mail, is'nt "supported" anymore even though I pay them every year to keep my present version up to date.

Expanding on my observation earlier on, Symantec have changed something because I've noticed that when I manually update the software, the overall "look" of the download dialogue box is different. I'm at a loss even in how to contact them !!

compumac 09:41 27 Jun 06

Reference contact with Symantec. I have been able to contact them by e-mail and voice contact, but the replies are obviously coming from the far east and do not seem to comprehend whatsover as to your problem. I have been using Symantec for years but even after writing to their head office I have had no reply after two months. In view of that I have now kicked them into touch. If and or when their support returns to a comprehending status I might return.

fazer 21:23 27 Jun 06

Thank you compumac - I appreciate your effort.

Before closing this thread, may I please ask whether anyone else using this forum is experiencing this problem?

To reiterate, its version 2003 and the problems appeared after the last update (and being automatic, I can only assume it was performed sometime over the weekend just gone).

Thanks.

fazer 13:09 29 Jun 06

oh well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…