Norton AntiVirus-Liveupdate Failure

I use Windows 98 SE and Norton AntVirus 2001. Recently I have noticed that Liveupdate has not been working. When I looked at Liveupdate it gave me the message "Liveupdate could not create a directory to store temporary files. Make sure that you have create and write access to the Windows 95/98 All Users directory". I have done this (I think) and there are no read only tabs. Any ideas?

accord 22:20 13 Apr 03

mmmmm seem to think i had this problem some time ago, cant remember what i did apart from reinstalling NAV/FW. sorry if this reply is vague.

Happy1 23:18 13 Apr 03

I also had this problem my Norton AV was not doing its usual auto update (I use XP Pro O/S.) So yesterday I did a manual update. Had a problem at first but managed to work out how to do it. It then updated everything and also installed a new updating programme for 2003. Dont want to appear rude but have you renewed your subscriptions. Usually you get a warning on this. They have renewed everything in programme and you have version 2001 same as me. Although now they have changed it to new version.

muscic lover 23:49 13 Apr 03

Have you done a virus check?
That could be part of the problem, but hopefully not. Do a scan of the hard drive first, the re-try live update.

OR

Contact symantec and ask for their advice! the link is in Norton, IF all else fails!

anchor 09:07 14 Apr 03

I had this same problem a couple of months ago. This was what I did to correct matters:

Open the folder:
C:\program files\symantec shared\Virus Defs

then:
1:Stop the Norton A/V service
2:Delete the numbered folders for the VirusDefs folder, and any temp folder you may find there.
3:Re-run the intelligent updater.
4:Restart the Norton A/v service

This worked for me, and all OK since.

expertec 09:27 14 Apr 03

click here

When you've solved your problem please post how you did it, and tick the resolved box.

24423251a 17:22 14 Apr 03

I have recently installed Norton Suite 2003, and got the live update problem. I went to Symantec and downloaded the file. When I tried to install it I got the error message:-
Live Update failed because you do not have long pathname enabled. Please enable Long Pathname and re-install Live Update.
Q) How do I do this? All help fully appreciated.
Big Al.

Many thanks to everyone who offered help, especially Expertec. Your link to Symantec Support gave all the possible fixes. The one which deleted the Download files was the one that worked. Thanks again.

expertec 09:26 15 Apr 03
  24423251a 19:02 15 Apr 03

Thanks for that, will go and try it.Will get back to you on completion. Big Al.

Lead 20:05 15 Apr 03

NAV 2003

Just for anyone stumbling across this (closed) post in the future with a LiveUpdate issue:

Many issues with LiveUpdate can be resolved by deleting the contents of the LiveUpdate folder and reinstalling the latest version from their website.

I have had to do this several times. I think Symantec need to take a closer look at the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…