Norton Antivirus files

spindlefox 20:14 08 May 04

1. I have recently uninstalled Norton Anti-virus 2004 and Norton Firewall 2003 from my XP Home machine - the uninstall went Ok (seemingly) but I still have 2 folders in Program Files, 'Symantec / Live Update' (28 files about 4.8 meg)& Norton Anti-virus (90 files, 10 meg)
Does anyone know if I can simply delete these folders or will that give me serios grief?
2. Just how good is the XP home firewall? I have just ran a check using Shields Up (click here) and my machine passed with flying colours - what do you all think?

TommyRed 20:36 08 May 04

I can't help on the NAV query but on the firewall I followed advice on here. Initially I had Outpost as my firewall but ShieldsUp showed two ports open, I managed to close one but the other gave me no end of trouble. In the end I installed ZoneAlarm and ShieldsUp reported all ports stealthed. HTH TR

citadel 21:51 08 May 04

folders are often left behind by progams you uninstall. just delete the folders, they will go to recycle bin first.

GaT7 22:27 08 May 04

Don't delete 'Symantec\Live Update' - instead uninstall LiveUpdate from Add/Remove Programs, then delete any folders called 'Symantec' after doing a search. You can safely delete the Norton Antivirus folder.

How good is the Windows Firewall? - click here for a recent discussion on this Forum.

If you change your mind about the firewall (& don't want Norton's again), you may be interested in this recent Freeware Firewall Group test: click here.

spindlefox 22:40 08 May 04

Thanks for the help guys - appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…