Norton Antivirus Disabling on its own

stugra 11:56 09 Jun 04

My Norton Antivirus program (2003) disables its monitoring by itself. The icon in the bottom right hand corner has a red cross through it. I go through the options and enable the program to constantly monitor, but when I reboot, it always comes up disabled again. Any help would be appreciated.

JayDay 14:52 09 Jun 04

Might be a sign of a Virus. Some viruses do things to NAV.

GaT7 15:39 09 Jun 04

JayDay's suspicions may be right. Try a few online scans to discount this possibility 1. click here
2. click here & 3. click here.

If the problem persists, painful as it sounds, you may have to uninstall/reinstall NAV. Hope you won't need it, but this article will help as a guide & if you encounter problems: Uninstalling and reinstalling Norton AntiVirus 2003 - click here. I usually have many problems whenever I need to uninstall/reinstall Norton products. So, follow instructions & good luck to you if you decide to go down this route.

You can also ask Symantec Support directly for help (this is free) - click here. If you haven't used their system before, click on 'start free online support' on the above link & follow the onscreen instructions. You'll finally be presented with a form to enter the necessary details including a description of your problem. From personal experience they usually reply within 1-3 working days.

Or, some resourceful person here may be able to scour the Symantec knowledge base & provide you with a link. Whatever happens keep us posted on your progress. All the best, G

stugra 15:44 09 Jun 04

Bit confused here. Will it be possible to use NAV to check if it is infected itself with a virus, if this is the cause of the problem? If not, can anyone advise how to check an antivirus program with an antivirus program please??

stugra 15:48 09 Jun 04

Crossbow7, thanks, my last post crossed over - will give it a try.

powerless 15:59 09 Jun 04
  stugra 16:22 09 Jun 04

Many, many thanks - I went to the Symantec site in search for a solution but couldn't even find their knowledgebase - thanks again, will post here if successful.

GaT7 16:23 09 Jun 04

There you go! The birthday boy has come to the rescue : ))

Powerless - what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be some place else? Or, do the celebrations begin later? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos