Norton AntiVirus and AVG - can they coexist?

bill sykes 21:04 17 Nov 04

Trying to sort out a friend's pc (Win98SE) with a very old, outdated version of NAV (circa 1999 or 2000). It has obviously long expired and I would like to replace it with something else but I can't see any obvious means of removing this software (nothing in Add/Remove Progs.

I would like to install Grisoft's AVG. Can I go ahead and install it and expect it to run happily alongside NAV, or will all hell break loose as predicted in some forums I've been to.

Many thanks for any help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:10 17 Nov 04

click here will remove norton.

G

Chris..b 21:13 17 Nov 04

If you can stop the norton programe from running at start up then ypu will be ok to put another anti virus pro. in.

If you go to run and type in msconfig ,click on the startup tab and you should from there be able to stop norton from running

andrew-196854 21:14 17 Nov 04

i would not advise running to antivirus programs i would either disable it or if you cannot find it in add and remove try a unistaller program there are a few on here click here

Mikè 21:23 17 Nov 04

In most nav's there is an uninstaller in C:\program files\Common files\Symantec shared\symsetup.

bill sykes 18:03 18 Nov 04

for such quick responses. This forum never fails to impress.

Mike - unfortunately there was no installer in that folder.

The Symantec site (Gandalf) looked horrendously complicated(!) but essentially it recommended d/ling and running Rnav2003.exe to remove NAV if all other methods have failed. Guess what - it worked, or at least appears to have done!

Thanks again for all the help.

mbp 18:24 18 Nov 04

Norton's is usually well entrenched in your system. If you run Registry First Aid or Registry Mechanic, you will see what has been left behind even if you have used a Symantec uninstall. I used RFA to clean my system out, then switch to free AV programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…