Norton Antivirus - alternatives?

Rikardos 13:19 12 Jul 03

I'm having a load of problems with Norton at the moment and am looking around at possible alternatives which give the same amount of security - does anyone have any recommendations?

MichelleC 13:23 12 Jul 03

Avast is free. I got it when my NAV went silly.

jazzypop 13:28 12 Jul 03

There are plenty of alternatives, each with their champions / opponents on this Forum. I recommend that you check out a slightly more balanced / objective view from click here

-pops- 13:28 12 Jul 03

AVG has always seen me right. Version 6 is free.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:59 12 Jul 03

have used AVG for nearly 2 years, have recommended it to many others, open every email and attachment that I receive and it has caught EVERYTHING. 'nuff said.

ps the link to virus bulletin, is a site that uses controlled tests to attack AVs...most of the tests have no bearing to real life viruses. Listen to the troops not the commanders ;-))

bremner 14:06 12 Jul 03

This week AVG failed to stop W32.sobig getting into my sons machine, when it hit my machine NAV stopped it... 'nuff said

jazzypop 14:32 12 Jul 03

"Listen to the troops not the commanders ;-)) "

I spent 4hrs last week repairing my father-in-laws PC, 'protected' with a fully-updated copy of AVG, which got badly hit by the Bugbear virus.

I am perfectly aware of how the virus bulletin, and other similar sites, test the AV products.

Your solitary experience does not fill me with confidence.

Stuartli 14:32 12 Jul 03

Symantec provides virus definition updates for NAV almost on a daily basis - AVG updates seem so rare that they merit trumpeting in these forums.......

DieSse 17:03 12 Jul 03

"the link to virus bulletin, is a site that uses controlled tests to attack AVs...most of the tests have no bearing to real life viruses"

If fact the use the "Wild List" for tests, which is THE industry agreed standard for the actual viruses which really are out there.

Belatucadrus 17:22 12 Jul 03

OK before we come to blows :-

Best Free version avast4 click here both according to Virus bulletins tests and my opinion. I use both avast4 & AVG, neither have let anything through, but avast has more advanced features than AVG and I am expressing a personal opinion, do with it what you will.

Best to buy Nod32 click here according to Virus Bulletin, DieSse and several others on the forum, who seem to know what they're talking about.

Best according to Which, Kaspersky, which only goes to show you can't trust Which to test software.

Kaacee 19:35 12 Jul 03

my own preference is trend PC-cillin....been using it for 2 probs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…