Norton Antivirus 2005 - Uninstall Problem

Dazed&Confused 19:07 31 May 06

I'm having problems uninstalling Norton Antivirus 2005. My subscription has run out and I want to install Avast instead.

It does not show up in the Add/Remove programs box in the Control Panel and there is no uninstall option on start/programs/norton antivirus either.

I'm running Windows 98.

Jimmy14 19:10 31 May 06

Here is a step by step guide from Symantec on how to install it. Hope it helps and by the way I am suprised Norton ran on windows 98, was it not very slow?

click here=

Jimmy14 19:11 31 May 06

sorry about that

TomG 19:33 31 May 06

If that doesn't work Symantec have a removal tool SymNRT (use it as a last resort as you have to uninstall all symantec products), just search their website for the tool

Dazed&Confused 20:24 31 May 06

Hi Jimmy14

Thanks for the link. I've followed it but it will not let me proceed as I do not have ActiveX on the pc. Do you know where I can download this from?

Does running Norton with Windows 98 make the pc slower? I've found that internet pages load slowly. I've had Norton since it was new, it was pre-installed then I upgraded to 2005 last year.

Thanks for your help.

Dazed&Confused 08:33 01 Jun 06

Thanks Jimmy and Tom. Success, I've removed Norton with symNRT and installed Avast. PC now running very fast and pages load so quickly. If only I'd known it was Norton slowing it down I'd have got rid of it years ago, I just thought pc was on it's last legs!

Jimmy14 17:05 01 Jun 06

I have only logged on since I was speaking to you yesterday. Your question about activex, it is not a program and you just click the bar that appears at the top of the internet explorer browser and click install active x. It would not insall a program onto your computer it just takes control to perform that norton uninstall because I tried it first to make sure it worked before I gave it to you.

I know that info above doesnt matter any more as you got the problem fixed but I was just answering your question. I am glad you got it fixed.

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…