Norton Antivirus 2001 Update

Angry Kid 22:26 08 Aug 05

I wonder if anyone can help a friend of mine?

He is currently running Windows ME on an Advent 6412DVD laptop. He decided to upgrade his Norton Antivirus 2001 to the latest 2005 version.
He obtained the download from the Symantec site and tried to install but without much joy. Also, he paid extra for the additional warranty on the package, as he was having problems installing it, and didnt want the product key to expire after the fifteen day period. He has been in touch with Symantec on a regular basis and has quite a pile of emails telling him to do various things. However, this has proved unsuccesful. One piece of advice is to remove NAV2001 and install NAV2005. However,when he does this, and then tries to install NAV2005 his pc is saying that there is a conflicting Norton program already running on his pc! The only program relating to Symantec is the Norton engine he has been told to download in order to assist him with the problem. Recently he purchased the program on CD thinking he had a corrupt download. However, he is no better off as the problem still persists.

I would appreciate it if someone can shed any light on this for him:)

VoG II 22:36 08 Aug 05
  Angry Kid 22:49 08 Aug 05

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have forwarded this link to him and I will post here to tell how he went on ;)

sattman 22:53 08 Aug 05

I was using Norton 2002 and purchased the 2005 version, But it was not compatible with my ME system, caused crashes and slowed down the computor it was also very difficult to remove it completely which you have to do before using another anti virus, Now using AVG.

Symantaec will reimburse but you to return the disc to them with your reciept

Angry Kid 19:59 09 Aug 05

I have spoken to my friend this evening and he tells me that Symantec suggested the Rnav2003.exe procedure to him. It removed NAV2001, and then he tried to install NAV2005. However, the installation of NAV2005 was not completed due to his system detecting a remaining piece of a Norton program. Yhis is despite the removal tool appearing to have done its job.

He has now removed the part installation of NAV2005 and once again removed NAV2001. This time it said that there were five dll or exe files that could not be removed. He then removed them manually from the C drive with the exception of one registry key that it couldn't find a value for. He has then tried to reinstall NAV2005 and it installed up to the point of registration but then failed. He then proceeded to remove NAV2005 again and ran Rnav2003.exe again to remove any remnants of NAV2001.

Does anyone have any further suggestions or comments.:((

The Spires 21:29 09 Aug 05

Download Regseeker from click here Go to 'Find in Registry' tick all boxes but 'Match Whole word' & ‘Group Similar Keys'. Search for 'Norton' then 'Symantec' delete all it finds. Reboot Pc. Go to Search box on the start menu, go to 'More Advanced Options' tick 'System...' & Hidden...' search for 'Norton' then 'Symantec' delete all. Reboot.

Angry Kid 21:38 09 Aug 05

Thanks for the post. I will forward your post.

:)

cymbo 22:52 09 Aug 05

When uninstalling Norton ensure the following folder has been deleted.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared

If it is still there after the uninstall then manually delete it. It is often the cause of re-installation problems. If the correct uninstall procedure is carried out then it should not be necessary to manually delete entries in the registry.

Angry Kid 22:59 09 Aug 05

I have passed on your advice.

;)

cymbo 23:03 09 Aug 05

I meant to add that even after a complete uninstall of Norton, there is always some registry entries left which just log your personal details and the expiry date of your product. This just gives continuity in the event of a re-install.

Angry Kid 21:15 11 Aug 05

The Spires...I have just read an email from my friend and he says that he ran the program as suggested, however, it has found the same registry entries as previous manual deletions.

Cymbo....He has also removed all shared files previously.

Where does he go from here.....any ideas??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…