Norton Anti Virus Woes

uskfisherman 11:00 06 Apr 03

A tale of woe. My pooter would not boot into ME. It suddenly stopped with the dreaded red dead wis "NAV Auto Protect. Unable to initialise virus scanning engine data base". I got into safe mode, unistalled MAV Anti Virus, as well as all my other norton programs. Opened registry and deleted every thing headed symantec. My Computer then works. As soon as I reinstal AV I get the same death message again. Can anyone tell me what all this means and better still how can I get around this? I dont particularly want to put in the recovery disc to back to factory settings. I run dual booting along with XP on a separate hard drive. This runs OK. HELP!

powerless 11:02 06 Apr 03
  uskfisherman 11:50 06 Apr 03

Thank you Powerless.
I have downloaded 14 pages and it will take me a little while to digest this lot. Incidentally this problem did arise are using system restore

IZZY 12:32 06 Apr 03

uskfisherman..

Does this page help?

click here

Regards,

IZZY

uskfisherman 18:31 06 Apr 03

To Powerless and Izzy.
Very many thanks for your advice. After downloading 20 odd pages of "help" from Symantec, I quickly decided to to without this instalation. For the time being I have downloaded a free anti virus scanner from NORMAN which is working alright for the time being and until I decide what to do in the long term. I feel a bit sceptical about Norton I must admit.
Many thanks for your help, and best wishes.

uskfisherman 18:34 06 Apr 03

To Powerless and Izzy.
Very many thanks for your advice. After downloading 20 odd pages of "help" from Symantec, I quickly decided to to without this instalation. For the time being I have downloaded a free anti virus scanner from NORMAN which is working alright for the time being and until I decide what to do in the long term. I feel a bit sceptical about Norton I must admit.
Many thanks for your help, and best wishes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…