Norton anti virus software on a home network

Ivor_Monkey 13:54 29 Dec 03

For sometime I've been running Norton anti-virus software on my 2 pcs (network) without any problem using one annual subscription. But on trying to renew this time, I find that the price has gone up from about £10 (?) to nearly £17 and worse Norton (Symantc) want this amount for each pc. This wasn't the case before. So price has gone up from annual sub of about £10 to £34 and that's even after buying systemworks.

I note that Norton seems to allow users to configure their liveupdates so that one download is made and other pcs access that download, presumably across a network. Has anyone tried this (if so, how is it done?)?

MichelleC 14:23 29 Dec 03

I think you can do 1pc via liveupdate and another with intelligent updater (but it's not all that clever).

961 16:00 29 Dec 03

If this is for home use why not try AVG for free?

Gaz 25 16:13 29 Dec 03

I am afraid, the latest Norton PA, stops a lot of this.

You cannot bypass it, it checks if you are on a network, and if there is Norton installed on a nother system.

Its clever, I had it and it says: There is already a computer using this subscription on the local network.

And stuff.

Use Panda Antivirus. click here

Ivor_Monkey 17:47 29 Dec 03

Thanks. I notice that Panda is no cheaper than Norton. It too is designed for stand alone pcs and not for networked pcs, Panda recommends somethign called Panda Global Virus Insurance. I may try their web admin software.

byfordr 18:53 29 Dec 03

I think you want Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional Edition this has licences for 2 computers.

£15 for OEM version...

click here

byfordr 18:55 29 Dec 03

Alternately try looking in click here click here click here you should be able to pick up a normal copy for £30

Ivor_Monkey 15:23 30 Dec 03

Thanks. I think you found the answer. One very basic quesiton; what is the differences between the OEM (£15) version and the so-called "normal copy"?
Thanks again

961 15:27 30 Dec 03

OEM supposed to be purchased with hardware and no support from Software manufacturer apart from updates. I shouldn't let that bother you

Ivor_Monkey 15:41 30 Dec 03

Thanks. I now remember that oem usually comes bundled so no glossy book and box, just a cd case. Seems like a good deal. I've not yet seen any description confirming byfordr's comment that it is licenced for 2 compuers. (I'm sure byfordr is right, but given the way that norton seem to be changing the rules, I'm interested in seeing a full description). Thanks again.

Steven135 16:15 30 Dec 03

I have NAV 2004 activated on my desktop and my laptop networked no problem with live update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…