Norton anti virus replaced by avg ....now I have g

Fred the flour grader 14:02 21 Oct 05

I removed Norton yesterday and installed the Free avg product from a link off previous thread.
Now when I start my computer I get a meesage saying a file is not installed and windows needs it to operate.
I have done a step by step boot up and it gets as far as this.
C:\progra~1\symantec\symevnt.386

I think this must be part of the Norton anti-virus 2003 that I removed so will it be safe to just delete it and hope that computer starts ok.

The second part of my question is, avg has installed ok but, when I try to update it I get the following messages

The proxy server failed, please follow these steps
if you use a firewall please ensure the componet avginet is allowed to access.

Make sure the connections parameters are set properly.To open ther configuration dialog go to the AVG control centre/update component

Fred the flour grader 14:04 21 Oct 05

I am on Blueyonder broadband and am not aware of a firewall and I have not got a clue what a proxy server is

rawprawn 14:08 21 Oct 05

A) yes you can delete C:\progra~1\symantec\symevnt.386
Getting rid of all Norton files can be a bind.

B) Don't worry about that message, the AVG site is having problems at the moment. That message usually means it's busy, try again later or try a manual download. although there are problems there too at the moment. Don't worry.

splork 14:11 21 Oct 05

Have a look in Add/Remove Programs and see if there are any entries called Liveupdate, LiveReg or similar, that's part of Norton too. Remove them if you find any.

rawprawn 14:11 21 Oct 05

Just a question, how did you uninstall Norton, it can be difficult and to do it properly you may have to reinstall and then uninstall again, I don't use Norton but I think there is support on their site for uninstalling their program

Fred the flour grader 14:18 21 Oct 05

Thanks rawprawn and splork for really fast answers, I always panic a bit when it comes to anti virus stuff. I have rectified the download problem by the "do not use proxy server" in the settings part of the update manager in the download centre.
I uninstalled it by add/remove programs in windows.
I will delete the other file name now...ie C:\progra~....

If I don't reply you know my computer is dead!!!

Well here is hoping

Baz70 14:21 21 Oct 05

If you have any problems removing symantec software from your system take a look at the symantec site, there are resources to help.

Fred the flour grader 14:29 21 Oct 05

Thanks guys the problems are now history, thanks for your prompt responses....fred

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…