Norton anti virus problems

820mikewaite 16:54 02 Jul 07

Can anyone help please
I have Norton Internet security that has been working fine up till a couple of days ago.
It now shows my Virus protection needs attention. I followed the advice and did . It tells me my anti virus is turned off and to do a Live up date that I have done but still showing Virus protection is not working. I contacted the Tech help desk.
They responded with the following.

Start Norton Internet Security.
-- On the Norton Internet Security tab, click Settings.
-- Click Auto-Protect, and then click Configure.
-- In the left pane, under Advanced Options, click Miscellaneous.
-- Under How to protect my product, uncheck Turn on protection for my Symantec product.
-- Click OK
-- Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate
-- Delete all the #.Settings.LiveUpdate & Settings.LiveUpdate files (where # are numbers).
-- Delete the CONTENT of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads
-- Make sure you do NOT delete the folder itself.

I got as far as:-
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate
-- Delete all the #.Settings.LiveUpdate & Settings.LiveUpdate files (where # are numbers).
How do I find the above any help will be most appreciated Mike

brundle 16:58 02 Jul 07

Set Windows to show hidden files. I am assuming XP.

click here

sunny staines 18:12 02 Jul 07

does anything here help click here

820mikewaite 20:13 02 Jul 07

Dear Brundle,
I followed your advice I got to Applications Data Clicked Symantec. When clicked it showed a follder called Shared. I click this and was shown a follder called Sessions + My profile. User profile + 3rd one called options Vc pref Thes two I could not open.
At this point I am stuck. Thank you for you kind help Mike

820mikewaite 20:20 02 Jul 07

Have read it over and I will try and wipe Norton and reinstate it to see if it works but not today as I am knackered and need to clear my head. In the mean time I have down loaded a free program called avast Antivirus which appears to be first class so I am at least protected. Thank you for your help Mike

sunny staines 20:29 02 Jul 07

avast is a good bit of gear

mfletch 20:36 02 Jul 07

Hi Avast is very good and if you decide to keep it {YES I WOULD} don't forget you need a firewall,

I use Comodo with Avast with no problems!

Get rid of Norton nothing but trouble,

Comodo
click here

mfletch

skidzy 20:36 02 Jul 07

820mikewaite have you removed Norton totally from your machine before running another AV such as Avast.

Norton removal tool: click here

Some further advice,worth the read: click here

820mikewaite 00:34 03 Jul 07

Thanks to mfletch and skidzy. I have taken Norton off and now have Avast anti virus and have down loaded Comodo firewall pro. Hopefully that is all I need thanks you all for your help Great bunch of lads. Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…