Norton Anti virus. Problem uninstalling/Installing

fadviser 23:54 10 Mar 05

I wish to uninstall/reinstall Norton Antivirus 2004. Add/Remove programmes appeared to remove the programme but I could not reinstall because 'a newer version needs to be removed in order to install this version'. I can only find this using Explorer and when I try to delete the programme the warning 'cannot delete N32EXCLU.DLL access is denied etc.' appears.
Deadlock. Any ideas please?

woodchip 23:59 10 Mar 05

It's like trying to count the sand particles on the beach

Hairy Yeti 00:04 11 Mar 05

Try safe mode?

woodchip 00:04 11 Mar 05

After remooving from Add Remove you could try my way, it gets rid of most of it.

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Symantec click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Symantec in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Symantec and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Symantec then reboot your computer

You can then go back through the above but look for NORTON

fadviser 00:32 11 Mar 05

Woodchip - Thanks. I followed your instructions but many items came up when I tried the registry edit. I was nervous about carrying on ,being aware of serious warnings about tinkering with the registry. I guess I'm a coward.
I think I will maybe download AVG and use that, leaving what's left of Norton where it is.
Thanks again.

jimmer409® 17:27 25 Mar 05

norton a swine to remove, go to control panel, add/remove, make sure that anything to do with norton is removed, anti-virus, systemworks, live update, firewall, etc. next go to c drive/program files, delete anything remorely related to norton, loads of files will not allow deletion, persist and take them out one at a time, some may still remain, try renaming these and than deleting, just been through this, therefore know what you're up against

VoG II 17:34 25 Mar 05
  rômanab 17:38 25 Mar 05

You can use a registry cleaner to delete all symantec keys, try reg seeker click here I have used it a few times with no problems, in fact most recently to delete all trace of my av and firewall (f-secure) prior to reinstalling. It also makes a backup (tick boox bottom right) in case you do have any problems.

citadel 18:23 25 Mar 05

the instructions are on symantec web site

jimv7 18:38 25 Mar 05

I removed norton from a customers computer yesterday(all up to date), and as usual avg found and removed a load of virus's, take this opportunity to install avg or avast.

Taff36 22:41 25 Mar 05

From Experience use the Symantec remover and then you can choose yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…