Norton Anti Virus - computer won't start

Parky 07:00 03 Sep 03

Last night I loaded an updated version of Norton AV - followed the wizard and all seemed to go okay until the computer restart attempt. It hangs up with the message " Norton Anti Virus start up scan. Not enough memory to run Norton Antivirus Command line. Error [35]: General protection fault in C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.WL at 0088:27F" followed by a load of codes then "Memory allocation error. Cannot load COMMAND, system halted"
I can't get beyond this into the Windows start up page. CTRL+ALT+DEL restarts up to the same point. Also can't shut down computer - just keeps restarting when I press the off button. Anyone got any ideas what I did, and what I should do to recover?

powerless 07:13 03 Sep 03

When the computer is starting keep tapping the F8 key. You will see a menu, choose SAFE MODE.

This should not load Norton and you should be able to use your computer. When your in safe mode it will look horrible but here you can sort the mess out.

First i would stop Norton from running. Go to start > Run > Type:

Click ok. Now up at the top click on STARTUP remove the tick from the box beside Norton AntiVirus.

Restart the computer and see if you can boot into NORMAL windows. If you can i would suggest you remove norton from the computer via Add/Remove in the control panel.

This article explains how to remove all traces (nearly all traces) of NAV from your computer click here

Then when done reinstall.

Also what Operating system are you using?

What is the specification of your PC?

When you say " I loaded an updated version of Norton AV" do you mean you updated the Virus definition files or you updated the whole program? For example NAV 2003 to NAV 2004?

Tog 07:16 03 Sep 03

Can you boot into safe mode?

Tog 07:18 03 Sep 03

Slow fingers

Parky 10:52 03 Sep 03

Many thanks for the help - problem resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…