Norton Anti-virus 2007 question

cheerup347 15:43 10 Nov 08

Hi,

I've just installed norton anti-virus after having to re-install windows on my PC. and I noticed the annoying Norton thing in the bottom right hand corner of the screen (not the icon in the taskbar...the big yellow thing to the left of that.

So I clicked on properties and customize, selected 'Always hide' on it so it would be removed.

However, when I minimize windows media player or itunes to the bottom right where that was... there is a big space where the Norton thing would be?

Anyone know how I can remove this so I cvan have windows media or itunes running in the bottom right hand corner of the task bar without a gap?

Thanks

cheerup347 15:46 10 Nov 08

Hi,

Sorry I meant the 'Norton Toolbar' that sits in the bottom right hand corner of the screen just to the left of the taskbar icons...

If I try and use another tolbar like the itunes one or windows media one there is a big space left where the Norton one would normally be...

Can anyone help with this?

Sea Urchin 15:51 10 Nov 08

It's called the system tray - unhide it again and then try this

click here

Sea Urchin 15:54 10 Nov 08

.....or from Symantec

click here

cheerup347 16:12 10 Nov 08

Hi,

Sorry I think I'm explaining this wrong. I have no problem with the small icons in the VERY right hand corner. it's the big toolbar thing that's on the right, it sits beside all open windows on the bottom bar.

this picture may help explain it some:

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

It used to display a little yellow strip saying 'Norton' on it... I have somehow managed to remove that, but when I try and use another toolbar or minimize itunes/media player to the right hand corner it comes up as a gap like the picture.

Thanks

Sea Urchin 16:16 10 Nov 08

Can you right click on the task bar - go to Toolbars and is Norton listed there? If so click to remove

cheerup347 16:23 10 Nov 08

Hi,

No norton is not on the list. This is what I'm having a real problem with.

When I first installed it, i Saw the yellow norton thing where that gap is and I think I must have tried to remove it.

Because there is a gap there and I do not normally have the 'language bar' on I thought it had siappeared. But when I try and use ANY other toolbar such as the language bar, you can clearly see the gap. But I cannot find anything to do with that on the norton settings or through the toolbar menu.

Any ideas?

thanks for the help!

Sea Urchin 16:43 10 Nov 08

You could try via Manage Add-Ons in IE (Tools menu) - check if a Norton toolbar is showing there as enabled, and if so disable.

I have googled your problem and you're not alone - one solution seemed to be removing the icon as I suggested above, and the toolbar problem goes as well (so it said). Another band of opinion is that you may have some malware.

Sea Urchin 16:48 10 Nov 08

In view of the last point you could try downloading, updating and running Malwarebytes

click here

cheerup347 17:27 10 Nov 08

Hi,

Trying the malware thing as i write this. but I use Firefox and can't find anything about norton on either Firefox add-ons or the internet explorer thing you suggested.

The problem has now got worse...there seems tobe gaps now!

Or least one big gap the SIZE of 2 of the norton toolbar. I have NO idea what's caused this and can't find anything on google to help me. what did you find on this topic about the norton problem?

Sea Urchin 17:47 10 Nov 08

I googled "remove norton toolbar from task bar" - plenty to look at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now