Norton Anti Virus 2004 Scanning

prykie 21:48 29 Jun 04

2 things:-

1 Although a scanning box shows when sending emails I have never seen a scanning box on receiving emails. Is this normal?

2 When doing a system scan with NAV2002 the heading on the box says "scanning for viruses". Now I have NAV 2004 it says "scanning for threats". NAV 2004 has extra protection against threats so when it scans is it scanning for both threats and viruses?

Dan the Confused 22:34 29 Jun 04

1. Yes, I think so.

2. NAV2004 also has limited adware removal now.

PSF 22:38 29 Jun 04

1, If you look in the system tray as you receive an e-mail it shows you it is scanning.

2, It does check for spyware, it found one that Adaware missed the other day!!!

prykie 23:17 29 Jun 04

PSF - Oops I have sent you an email instead of responding here - sorry. But for the benefit of others I will repeat it by saying that all I ever see in the system tray when receiving email is a white envelope with a blue arrow moving. The envelope closes when all emails are received. Is this the scanning you referred to or do you see a Norton scanning icon?

prykie 23:20 29 Jun 04

Dan, can you clarify what you mean by it having limited adware removal now?

Dan the Confused 23:34 29 Jun 04

It can find certain files associated with adware and spyware etc but is not as thorough as using Ad-Aware and Spybot. It is a welcome addition though.

What you see in the system tray is the same as me so I think it is working properly.

kev.Ifty 23:54 29 Jun 04

Open Norton, click options, open antivirus select
Email and make sure "scan incoming Email" box is ticked

I think it do'es it silently, until there is a problem :~}

Cheers Kev

PSF 14:35 30 Jun 04

You will only see the envelope in the system tray as the e-mails come in. If a virus is detected a window will open to warn you. The default setting removes the virus and then adds a note to the e-mail telling you it has removed the infected attachment.

prykie 16:35 30 Jun 04

Thanks to all who have helped. I think everything is OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…