Norton anti-virus 2002 protecting xp

Tijs 16:31 08 Jun 03

Is it really necessary to have an anti-virus program protecting Windows xp?

I have Norton 2002 that was already built in when I bought my pc package and just required setting up.

Would the built in firewall with xp be adequate and if so how would I go about setting the firewall up??

bremner 16:42 08 Jun 03

Absolutely not. The firewall will not prevent a destructive virus attacking your system via e mail, internet download or an infected floppy or CD Rom.

bremner 16:43 08 Jun 03

Having read my post it answered your last sentence to answer the first you must have a anti virus program

layland 16:53 08 Jun 03

Tijs, Listen to bremners advise. I have Nortons Systemworks 2002 which includes NAV and thieir Firewall. It only costs £8 to update the annual subscriptions and when you see how many programs are knocking at your computers port you will be glad to have it.
Safe surfing

jazzypop 17:13 08 Jun 03

An anti-virus program, and a software firewall, do two completely separate jobs.

You definitely need a good anti-virus program - stick with Norton, it definitely one of the better ones.

As for the firewall - XP's built-in firewall does a good job of preventing unwanted communication from the Internet into your PC. However, it does nothing at all to prevent unwanted communication from a program on your PC to the Internet.

I recommend Sygate (free version, available from sygate.com), instead of the built-in firewall that comes with XP.

Tijs 18:44 08 Jun 03

Thanx for the advice people!

Tijs 18:45 08 Jun 03

Thanx for the advice people!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…