NORTON AFTER NEW HDD INSTALL

Rodney-211388 21:48 03 Aug 04

I've just installed a new HDD on another computer running Winows 98. All files copied from old HDD OK except Norton a/v and firewall. Initially I uninstalled both and system ran well. I then reinstalled firewall. On restarting as part of process, after windows 98 screen I get DOS message "While initializing device SymTDI: windows protection error. You need to restart your computer". Do this and it starts in Safe mode only. I guess I need to uninstall firewall again to clear whatever has happened but I can't get to control panel/uninstall.

What to do??

GaT7 22:38 03 Aug 04

First try the solutions here - click here.

For best results: 1. BEFORE attempting to install NAV/NPF/NIS again, make sure to go to the Win update site & d'load/install ALL updates for Win98. 2. Do the install under 'clean boot' conditions (click here=
if you need to know how). 3. Finally, if there are NO errors on reboot update NAV/NPF/NIS immediately thereafter. Good luck, G

Rodney-211388 15:59 04 Aug 04

Thanks! my machine is up and running again - but I think I will look for another A/V programme!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…