Norton 360 or free software?

snowy30 13:32 23 Sep 09

I've been handed Norton 360 to use on my computer, is it any good? At the moment I am using Avast! and Sunbelt Kerio personal firewall, and each time I boot up the computer a box pops up asking me if I want to buy a registered version of the firewall........

What will be my better option?

The Kestrel 13:57 23 Sep 09

I have used AVG free anti-virus and Zonealarm free firewall for many years. So for, touch wood, I have never had a major security problem on any of my PCs. If your annual subscription to Norton will be paid for you, all well and good. If not, why pay when there are excellent and effective freeware programs available to use.

wee eddie 14:22 23 Sep 09

and does it much better than it used to.

I have the same as Kestrel + CCleaner and Malwearbyte, although they are covering similar territory.

I think that I may be light on Trojan and Root Kit protection and currently have no solution. I believe that Norton covers the lot.

So it depends on what else you would do with the £45 or so that is required to update Norton. Oh ~ and you need to buy a new copy every second year as the old software no longer covers the changing world of new types of threat.

sunnystaines 14:24 23 Sep 09

I use 360 and will renew at the end of the year. I like it but its your choice.

Woolwell 17:00 23 Sep 09

I run Kaspersky on 1 machine and Norton 360 on another. I didn't used to like Norton but I find Norton 360 is fine and little to choose between it and Kaspersky.

I run Kaspersky on 1 machine and Norton 360 on another. I didn't used to like Norton but I find Norton 360 is fine and little to choose between it and Kaspersky.

I haven't had a double post for ages - not sure what happened there.

highside 17:10 23 Sep 09

I like 360 and I am not convinced that no matter how many free things you download you will never get all the problems covered without a comprehansive, cover everything, system like Norton.

skidzy 20:30 23 Sep 09

I have Norton 360 and have never installed it, why, because i do not believe paid for Anti's are required for the general household user.
Though others may disagree.

This maybe of help to you click here

snowy30 00:36 24 Sep 09

That is an interesting thread you created there via your link, think I might just save that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…