Norton 360

Jazzyboo 16 Apr 11

My Pc takes at least 10 minutes to start before I can use it and then sometimes I get IE is not responding, this is the same with Outlook. I have done disk clean and disk check and all was okay. Someone said that Norton 360 could cause my PC to run slow and that I should uninstall Norton and use AVG. Does Norton make it slow to "get going"

sunnystaines 17 Apr 11

what version on 360 is it? ver 4 & 5 were ok.

try deleting it, if you still have the problem put it back.

have you checked device manager for a driver problem [yellow markers]

check what programs run during start up [msconfig]

run spyware SAS & MBAM FREE VERSIONS FOR SPYWARE.

Woolwell 17 Apr 11

Doubt if the latest versions of Norton will cause a slow start.

What is your OS?

Jazzyboo 17 Apr 11

My OS is Windows Vista

Woolwell 17 Apr 11

How much RAM do you have? At least 2Gb for Vista really.

Search indexing can cause a slow Vista machine but not normally at start. Suggest that you have a number of background programs starting. Look at msconfig.

Look also through other threads for Fruitbat's advice on slow pc's.

Jazzyboo 17 Apr 11

I have 1gb

Woolwell 17 Apr 11

Suggest you increase the RAM for a start.

Woolwell 17 Apr 11

If you don't have a dedicated graphics card that may be using some of your 1Gb too.

woodchip 17 Apr 11

Best way to find out is right click on Task Bar choose Task Manager if you click on an item it will tell you what CPU is being used in System Tray near Clock it put a icon. you can check to find out what. I use Free Avast on all my Home PC's and find it does all that's needed along with Windows Firewall and Router Firewall

woodchip 17 Apr 11

PS When Starting your PC Norton will look for new Dat Files this may be what's slowing it up

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message