Norton 2004 not deleting threats

jaimie 23:38 06 Jul 04

After my epic session with popups and nastysex last week, (which was solved by members of this forum). Norton reports 10 threats. These are dialers and adware, norton suggests removal of these and goes through the motion but then tells me all threats have not been eliminted and offers to exclude them from the next scan, the norton site is not much help. Anyone know if I should do something about this or just leave it, I don't have a modem so it can't dial out.

Regards

Jaimie

hugh-265156 00:57 07 Jul 04

are you using windows ME or XP? if so disable system restore and then run another scan and delete anything found.

re enable system restore again afterwards.

for xp click: start/control panel/system/system restore and untick the box, tick to enable again after scan.

for winME click: start/settings/control panel/system/performance/file system/troubleshooting and untick then re tick here when finished scanning.

hugh-265156 01:00 07 Jul 04

ps. sorry i didnt explain why. symantech explains why you need to do this click here most av`s also require you to do this when infected to fully remove any virus.

jaimie 07:18 07 Jul 04

Huggyg71. Thanks, I did as you suggested, Norton 2004 did not give me the option to delete these files, only the option to exclude them from future scans which is no use. I searched the registry and found no such entries (I'm on XP Pro), so I searched the drives and found one of the entries and deleted that. So the other nine threats are still here.

Regards
Jaimie

hugh-265156 01:42 08 Jul 04

what are the files norton finds and cannot remove please?

jaimie 05:59 08 Jul 04

Huggyg71 the file are:
GB3{1}.exe
polall1t.exe (twice)
polmx3.exe (twice)
preinstt.exe
twaintec.dll

The file I have deleted is mxTarget.dll (three copies)

Thanks

Jaimie

ob1ie 07:08 08 Jul 04

I had the same problem recently with nortons not deleting these threats. What I had to do in the end was delete all of the entries manually. When nortons is finished running it shows a summary of the threats. Clicking on the threat will display its location on the system. I followed this and deleted the file. At the end I reran nortons to make sure they were all gone.

jaimie 07:13 08 Jul 04

ob1ie: thanks for this I will give it a try, and report back.

Jaimie

sattman 16:46 08 Jul 04

I though that N/A always gave you the option to place found files in quarantine. From which you delete manually

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…