Northbridge fan on my MSI K8N SLI Platinum 939

Bailey08787 17:50 15 Dec 05

......has started failing.

It keeps slowing to a crawl, and it is clear that its struggling to rotate. I'm alerted by the loud whirring noise it begins to make.

I can't see anything obstructing it.

What do I do??

PaulB2005 17:52 15 Dec 05

If under warranty contact MSI or your supplier. They will provide a new fan. Even if not under warranty, try.

I got a replacement from Hercules for a failing GeForce 3 Ti 200 3 years after i bought it - in fact they sent two!

Also got a replacement North-bridge fan for my 3 weeks old A8N-SLi from Overclockers after it started buzzing. Had to send the old fan back as it was swapped off a returned board. The fan should just unscrew from the Heatsink and replace simply.

jakimo 20:15 15 Dec 05

You can replace the northbridge chip fan with a heat sink kit(from overclockers) more reliable and noiseless,Ive used one for 3 yrs.

jakimo 20:48 15 Dec 05

Alternative stockist:-

click here

Belatucadrus 21:17 15 Dec 05
  Totally-braindead 21:23 15 Dec 05

My old board a gigabyte ga7vaxp had 3 northbridge fans fail on it in about 2 years, I got so fed up with it I did what the others suggested and got a northbridge heatsink, after 3 years its still working perfectly.

Bailey08787 17:30 27 Apr 06

is it dangerous to have the pc running without the northbridge fan working? mine has recently died completely

Belatucadrus 17:46 27 Apr 06

"is it dangerous to have the pc running without the northbridge fan working?"

Not perhaps as potentially terminal as trying to run with a dead CPU fan, but definitely still a very bad idea. Replace it with a new fan or suitable passive heatsink as quickly as possible.

jakimo 21:10 27 Apr 06

If after 4 months you still haven't replaced the faulty fan, then your heading for a motherboard failure

Bailey08787 16:54 04 May 06

i've now bought a replacement, but can't get the damn original off.

It has push pins either side of the fan that attach it to the mobo. I've tried pushing them down but that doesn't do anything.

I fear that I need to release the fan from the other side, which would mean having to take the whole mobo out of the case :-/

Totally-braindead 17:09 04 May 06

Unless you need the existing clips to attach the new fan you may be able to cut them off. Failing that removing the motherboard from the case is the only option, which is why after 3 fan failures I replaced mine with a Zalman Northbridge heatsink instead of a fan as I said back in November.

I'm on a new computer now and from what I have read a few people have had the same Northbridge fan failures. If it fails on my new board I will get another heatsink unit again rather than have the hassle of dismantling it all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…