normal template in Word XP

SusieQ 01:20 23 Jul 03

I cannot access the normal template in Word XP as easily as I could in Word 2000.
I can open it eventually, but in a round about way. I can't follow the file path as the Application Data folder is not visible opening it in Word XP. Can anyone shed any light on the subject.

Gaz 25 01:28 23 Jul 03

Must be some protection system in XP?

temp003 07:52 23 Jul 03

Do you mean you're using Word XP in Windows XP? To see the Application Data folder in Windows XP, go to My Computer or Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Untick "Hide protected operating system files", say yes to the warning, click OK.

While you're on the View tab, you can tick "Show all hidden files and folders" and untick "Hide file extensions for all known file types" as well if you want. Click OK.

SusieQ 12:53 06 Aug 03

thanks temp003. I unticked 'hide protected operating system files' and couldn't find the app data folder. I went ahead and ticked 'Show all hidden files and folders' and it worked.
thank you. Having resolved this, of course, windows now shows lots of hidden files that anyone could accidently delete (as the warning suggests). Would you recommend I undo these settings so they are once again hidden, and access my templates folder the hard way (as I have discovered). Thanks for your valuable input.

temp003 15:27 06 Aug 03

You should certainly restore the setting for "protected operating system files" - actually I think normal.dot is only a hidden file, not protected OS file - my mistake.

As to "normal" hidden files and folders, unless you need constant access to them, it's probably better to hide them as well.

Just remember if you ever need to search for a file on your computer and can't find it, unhide these hidden files first in Folder Options, and then search again.

I do think however that one should show the file extensions. Some files have the same name but different extensions. It helps to show the extension to distinguish them.

Also, some e-mail virus attachments which are .exe files mask themselves as benign data files by having a "double extension", such as filename.doc.exe - filename.doc being the real name, and .exe being the file extension. If you don't show the file extension, you'll see the attachment as "filename.doc" only and think it's a harmless Word document, open it, and execute the virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…