'Normal dot' message when opening Word

Halmer 08:01 04 Jan 06

When my neighbour opens a Word doc she gets the 'Normal dot' (or something like that) message and then something about changes to the template. I remember having this once but can't recall how to cure it. can anyone tell me please.

WhiteTruckMan 08:03 04 Jan 06

Do a search for the file called normal.dot and simply delete it. then restart machine. should be ok then.

WTM

Halmer 08:14 04 Jan 06

Thanks

Thalmus 08:52 04 Jan 06

normal.dot is the blank page template

Halmer 08:57 04 Jan 06

So are you saying that i should not delete it?

Simsy 09:03 04 Jan 06

Word will create a new one when it needs to.

By deleting it however, any customisations to the "normal" template will be lost.

If it has been customised in any way it is probably better to just rename it, (normal.old perhaps), so that if the creation of a new "normal.dot" doesn't solve the problem, you know that the problem is not with the template and the old one may be restored.

(I hope that makes sense!)

Regards,

Simsy

Monoux 09:03 04 Jan 06

You can safely delete Normal.dot. Word will recreate the file next time you open word ( but without the errors / changes you mention)

Halmer 09:07 04 Jan 06

for the clarification.

I'll green tick it once I can get to the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…